10841268_10202228226546380_1566985700_n

Wharton freshman Kayvon Asemani has become a self-promoting rap artist as well as a prospective businessman.

Credit: Courtesy of Kayvon Asemani

Wharton freshman Kayvon Asemani is on his way to joining the likes of John Legend and Hoodie Allen.

Last Thursday night, the freshmen hip hop artist performed in Bodek Lounge to a sold out crowd. Aside from his personal life struggles, Asemani sang about themes including unnecessary exclusivity, rejection from clubs, love and the superficial nature of Greek life and hazing.

Asemani believes it is important for people, especially those like Penn students who occupy an advantaged position in society, to help others going through tough times.

According to College freshman Andrew Valdez, “Kayvon is a name to be known and a movement to be known that has the firepower to go outside of the Penn community.”

Another audience member and aspiring rapper, Kiano Walker said, “The show inspired me as an upcoming artist, in that it takes a lot of confidence to spill the heart the way Kayvon did.”

Over 100 people bought tickets in advance to see The Kayvon Show, and even more people continued to buy tickets at the door. Before the concert, College freshman Khalil Jones said, “I’m just trying to see my man perform, I think he’s about to turn it up.”

Many audience members in the crowd wore a t-shirt with Asemani’s music logo featuring a crown and a bear in the middle. 

Besides offering T-shirts to his fans, Kayvon uploaded a new song on his website 24 hours before his concert, “Let em Know,” which he performed live that night. “Let em Know,” like many of Asemani’s other songs, was produced by Ellis Wazeter, or ‘Waz’.

“It felt good to see what other people see and feel of your work,” Waz said. “I was especially taken when Kayvon said ‘it is not what you see in the mirror but what the mirror sees in you.’”

Asemani said he feels it is important that his fellow Penn students have the opportunity to experience his music both live and for free on his website.

For example, in one of his songs he let the audience know, “I don’t make this for the radio I make this for you.”

Through his music Asemani explains how fortunate he feels to have taken the right path, one of hard work, to get into Penn — a message relatable to many students. By the end of the concert Asemani was carried out of the venue by his fans and signed their t-shirts.