At their Nov. 2 meeting, the Undergraduate Assembly passed a resolution that urges the administration not to change the credit value of a course after the first day of classes. They also discussed making syllabi for all classes available on Penn InTouch.

Resolution passing

The UA passed the “Full Faith in Credit” resolution which urges administrators to create a policy mandating that the number of credits per course  cannot be changed after the first day of classes, nor can the degree requirements that courses fulfill.

This decision came after undergraduate students enrolled in a course called “Mind-Body Medicine and Mindfulness Meditation” were told they would not receive credit from the College of Arts and Sciences for the course, which is offered by the Perelman School of Medicine. The students received notice with only a few days left in the add period.  

The resolution specifically encourages the College to reconsider the decision for the meditation class. It also urges the administration to ensure that after students are enrolled and classes have started, the credit and requirements are not changed, as well as calling for a more formalized process to approve undergraduate credit for graduate school classes.

Syllabi on Penn InTouch

College freshman and UA representative Nathaniel Rome has been working to make syllabi for all classes available on Penn InTouch.

Rome met with Rick Dunn, who oversees the Advisor InTouch program for the College. Dunn said that he would reach out to each department’s course coordinator and encourage them to post syllabi.

Additionally, Rome will try to place a reminder to upload syllabi in a more central location on Courses InTouch, the faculty’s version of Penn InTouch.

Rome said the notice would be similar to the notice students get when they are on registration hold. He also said that in the past there has not been as much of a push from students to get syllabi posted.