09262014_volleyballvsprinc_copy
Penn football loses their first home game of the season to Villanova, 41-7. Credit: Zoe Gan , Zoe Gan

Penn volleyball will look to forget its loss to Ivy League rival Princeton when Columbia comes to town this Friday.

The Quakers are coming off of a tough weekend after falling to arch rival Princeton in three three sets followed by another loss to nonconference foe Dayton.

With last weekend behind them, the Red and Blue look now to face the Lions for their first win in Ivy League play. Though conference games just started and Penn's confidence is still high, an 0-2 Ivy record for the Quakers would not bode well.

“We did a really good job of resetting after Princeton,” junior Alexis Genske said. “I don’t think it would affectus hugely in any other way than giving us fire for when we come out on Saturday. I can confidently say we’ll be ready for Friday and [our record] won’t bring us down.”

The Quakers have won just one of their last ten games in what has been a bizarre season, one which has included their worst losing streak in more than ten years. However, this weekend the odds seem to be in Penn’s favor.

Columbia — while coming off of a two game win streak which included Ivy rival Cornell — are an abysmal 1-5 on the road. Columbia has also not fared well at the Palestra in the past. The Lions have not defeated the Red and Blue at home in more than ten years.

Win or lose, the Quakers won’t be able to decompress completely, as they will then match up against a Cornell (3-8) squad that has seen better days.

Cornell is coming off a loss to Columbia last weekend. For the past eight years, the Big Red has had trouble in the Palestra, as they have been unable to claim a victory in any of those previous seasons.

While the Quakers have seen their fair share of struggles this season, they will hope to get back on top with a good old case of history repeating itself.

The future may be now, but Penn will look to their veteran leadership to guide them through what is always the most uncertain stretch of the season.

Their usual jolt of energy from the bench will supply them with different looks both offensively and defensively, but expect for the bench to be making noise regardless.

Though Columbia and Cornell have not won in the Palestra in over ten and eight years, respectively, it is still a possibility that the tide may turn in their favor as no match is certain in the Ivy League.