timothy_hamlett

Former Penn track athlete Timothy Hamlett, a College junior, was charged with multiple charges of criminal mischief and one charge of reckless assault on Monday, his lawyer confirmed on Tuesday night.

Hamlett was charged last week with offenses that occurred in May, his attorney, Jason Foy, said. NorthJersey.com first reported on Monday that Hamlett had turned himself in to Teaneck Municipal Court to face the charges against him. He pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Hamlett was charged in a “vandalism binge” that included shattering windows in nine homes and three parked cars in Teaneck Township in May, according to NorthJersey.com. In one case, an 18-year-old woman needed to get stitches after she was cut on the head when a brick was thrown through a window in her home, NorthJersey.com reported.

Foy said that Hamlett “is not guilty and plans on defending himself against the charges.”

A spokesperson for Penn Athletics confirmed that Hamlett is no longer on Penn’s track team and deferred further comment to University Communications.

A representative of the Teaneck Police Department could not immediately be reached for comment on Tuesday night.

Senior Sports Editor Steven Tydings contributed reporting.