photo_1_2

The Ly family stands under the new billboard during the press conference, holding posters that read "Justice for Don Ly."

Credit: Taylor Culliver

The $25,000 reward for the arrest and conviction of the person responsible for the murder of Don Ly is now being advertised on two billboards across the city.

Ly, who was 68, operated a fruit salad cart that currently sits at 34th and Walnut streets. He was stabbed to death outside his home on April 18, 2013.

One billboard advertising the award was unveiled above Tony Luke’s during a press conference on July 24 at the restaurant in South Philadelphia, five blocks from the 400 block of Vollmer Street where Ly was murdered. Representatives from the Citizens Crime Commission and Clear Channel Outdoor, an advertising agency, were present, as well as the Ly family and other supporters, including councilman Mark Squilla.

“We miss him so much,” said Don’s son Hoanh Ly. “We need to bring [his killer] to justice.”

The CCC is a non-profit and non-governmental organization that works with law enforcement agencies to help fight crime. According to the CCC website, “The Citizens Crime Commission is administering a $5,000 reward posted by the victims family and the City of Philadelphia is posting up to $20,000 reward for any information that would lead to the arrest and conviction of the individual(s) responsible for the murder of Don Ly.”

Nary Ly, Don’s daughter, stated that she did not know of any updates about the ongoing investigation.

Barbara Bridge, Vice President of Public Affairs for Clear Channel and board member of the CCC, said that she and Nary were connected by the CCC six weeks ago in preparation for the billboard.

“When they’re really dry on the leads this can open up whole new avenues,” Bridge said.

“Many, many thanks to Barabara,” Nary said. “I don’t want people to forget.”

There is an identical billboard at Washington Avenue and 9th Street. The billboards will stay up for 45-60 days, and anonymous tips can be phoned in to 215-546-TIPS.

Clear Channel Outdoor is one of the world’s largest outdoor advertising companies. In collaboration with the FBI, Clear Channel digital billboards have helped to catch 51 criminals throughout the country since 2007. “It’s a program that really does work,” Bridge said. “Sometimes it just takes something that simple.”

“Like the saying goes: it pays to advertise,” added John Apeldorn, President of the CCC. He was not authorized to comment on the ongoing investigation.