imagejpeg_0

Flowers and candles were left at the 30th and Walnut street intersection in memory of Lauder Institute student Zachary Woods, who fell to his death Tuesday after an accident at the intersection.

Credit: Harry Cooperman

Zachary Woods, a 27-year-old incoming student in the Lauder Program, died following a car accident at 30th and Walnut streets on Tuesday.

Woods' death marks the sixth student death the University has faced since the end of last semester.

Following Woods' death, Wharton tweeted its condolences for his family and friends.

Flowers and cards from family members were left at the scene on Wednesday addressed to Woods. Professor of Marketing Americus Reed tweeted his condolences after Wharton Dean Thomas Robertson emailed some members of the Wharton community early on Wednesday. At around 10:23 p.m., Robertson sent an email to the rest of the Wharton community about Woods' death.

Witnesses told ABC Action News that Woods, who was walking along the sidewalk at the time, tried to climb a traffic signal pole in order to avoid being struck by two colliding cars on the 30th Street overpass. One vehicle struck the pole, causing him to fall around 38 feet. He was transported to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania in extremely critical condition. 

The Lauder Program integrates the Wharton MBA curriculum with a Master of Arts in international studies.

Check back for updates.

City News Editor Harry Cooperman contributed reporting.