09052013_utownkoreanrestaurant8
U-Town Korea Restaurant Opening Credit: Luke Chen

Fans of Korean food now have another place to go at the west end of campus.

A new Korean and Japanese food restaurant, U-Town, recently opened at 40th and Sansom streets, at the same location where MexiCali used to be.

“We haven’t completely opened yet, and this is just a soft opening,” said Ocean Sun, the owner of the restaurant.

The restaurant supports both eat-in and take-out, and presents a comprehensive menu from bibimbap to Korean desserts, with both English and Korean to accommodate customers using different languages.

Related: Thai Singha restaurant closes temporarily

Jonghu Lee, an assistant professor of radiology at Penn Medicine, praised this new opening in a community that lacks Korean food.

“We’ve been waiting for this Korean restaurant on campus to open for a long time, especially after Han Wool was closed,” said Lee, referring to the Korean restaurant by 36th and Chestnut streets.

Valerie Topoleski, who lives around the area, feels glad to have “an alternative for Asian food across from Mizu,” the Japanese sushi bar.

“The food is very native and it’s within the range of walking distance,” said Harry Lee, a first year graduate student in bioengineering. “I’ll come here very often.”

However, this newly open restaurant is still busy getting everything in place. While they set up their credit card processing system, they are for now cash-only.