Cheers and Jeers | Fall 2012

The best and worst of the past semester

CHEERS

• To the Undergraduate Assembly and the Dining Advisory Board for turning 1920 Commons into a student-friendly space.

• To young voters for matching 2008 turnout and for helping to re-elect President Barack Obama.

• To Graduate School of Education student Dephanie Jao and College junior Emmanuel Cordova for putting faces to important issues on campus.

• To the developers of First Round Capital for picking West Philadelphia over Silicon Valley and for funding dorm room entrepreneurs.

• To Penn for cancelling classes during Hurricane Sandy (we all needed the break).

• To the Penn Compliments founder for keeping to his mission by staying anonymous and for spreading positivity on campus.

• To Penn football for its third Ivy League title in four years.

• To College junior basketball player Alyssa Baron for hitting 1,000 points.

• To Penn field hockey for its winning season and its new field (coming soon).

• To the Office of Admissions for helping push early decision applications to an all-time high.

• To the late Larry Moses for his enduring legacy in the Greek community.

• To 2004 College graduate and Olympic rower Susan Francia for taking home gold in the London Olympics.

• To the Penn Museum for being a great cultural center for the community. Congratulations on 125 years!

• To Shoemaker Green for increasing green space on campus and being an entrance worthy of the Palestra.

• To Papa Bear for being an awesome senior class dog.

• To Hillel and Penn for Palestine for raising awareness of the Gaza conflict on Locust.

• To The Daily Pennsylvanian’s 128th board for a wonderful year.

JEERS

• To the Undergraduate Assembly for taking over a month before finally arranging its Hurricane Sandy relief event.

• To The Bridge Café for its disappointing menu.

• To the Center for Undergraduate Research and Fellowships for not providing enough support for potential Rhodes and Marshall scholars — we’ve had just one Marshall scholar in the past three years.

• To Team GhostShell for leaking Penn students’ information and for having a terrible name.

• To the Student Activities Council’s executive board for allowing some students groups to fall into thousands of dollars of debt, inevitably leading to the second moratorium in two years.

• To Penn Athletics for not fighting to keep traditions alive and the student body for not caring about the toast toss or the Line.

• To the U.S. News Rankings and World Report for dropping us to eighth in the United States.

• To us for caring about the U.S. News rankings.

• To Hurricane Sandy for wrecking havoc on the East coast killing 2010 College graduate Jessie Streich-Kest.

• To College Republicans for not having enough of a presence on campus, especially during an election year.

• To Wharton graduates Raj Rajaratnum and Rajiv Goel for engaging in insider trading.

• To Phi Delt for trying to dye their dog, Barney, red and but really dyeing it pink.

• To the Supreme Court for reconsidering affirmative action just 10 years after they ruled on the topic.

• To SEPTA for still having a token system and only just launching a three-year plan to move to “smart cards.”

• To Skulls for not following the rules of its probation.

• To both sides of the Gaza debate for failing to engage in a constructive debate with each other.

Get news delivered to your inbox every day. Sign up for the DP Email Edition.

Discussion