09_09_2012_mens_soccer_v_hartford166
Penn Men's Soccer Faces Hartford Credit: Patrick Hulce , Patrick Hulce, Patrick Hulce

What do the Penn soccer squads and the Tottenham Hotspurs have in common? New uniforms and equipment, courtesy of Under Armour.

This year, both clubs have donned new kits from the Maryland-based sporting goods manufacturer, which is increasing its presence in soccer products — both in the English Premier League and the Ivy League.

“Under Armour in soccer is still relatively new,” men’s coach Rudy Fuller said. “It’s growing at a fantastic rate, but we feel like we’re an early adopter … We’re proud to be associated with them.”

While the Red and Blue have worn Nike gear for several years, Under Armour approached Fuller about considering their products in the past, but the timing had previously conflicted with Penn’s equipment cycle.

However, Fuller developed a relationship with Under Armour as a staff member with the Elite 300 Soccer Camp, a top training camp for male high school players. Under Armour now sponsors the camp, and that affiliation led to discussions about Penn making a similar move.

Talks began over the winter, and Fuller and the soccer programs ultimately decided to accept Under Armour’s offer. The primary difference between the Nike and Under Armour brands for Penn soccer? Building a relationship with the new outfitter.

“In reality, we wore Nike gear the past few years, but it was nothing more than us purchasing Nike products,” Fuller said. “We didn’t really have a relationship with Nike or their reps personally, so when Under Armour came in, they really wanted to build a relationship with Penn soccer on the men and women’s sides.”

The association benefits both parties, as the Penn women’s soccer Twitter account now features an Under Armour logo in its profile picture, advertising its support of the brand.

“Our programs are good enough and high-profile enough that there’s a benefit [for] them as well,” women’s coach Darren Ambrose said.

Additionally, of course, the teams will display the brand on and off the field, including Under Armour duffel bags and backpacks when they travel — such as during the women’s trip to California over the weekend.

“They did a very good job of fully outfitting our student-athletes,” Fuller said.

Players initially had some concerns about the gear, particularly the cleats, since Under Armour has typically drifted in the periphery of soccer equipment, especially for footwear. But the players have been pleasantly surprised with the comfort of the cleats, alleviating their concerns.

The improvement of its soccer cleats signifies Under Armour’s commitment to pursuing the soccer market, and the Penn teams plan on benefitting from the company’s upgrades for many years to come.

Golden goal snaps Penn women’s losing skid

Soccer still searching for first victory