Yale University

Levin to step down

Yale University President Richard Levin announced last week that he plans to step down from his presidency at the end of the academic year, ending a 20-year term that has made him the longest-tenured Ivy League president.

Levin has been largely credited with modernizing Yale, having experienced great success in managing the school’s finances and improving relations with the city of New Haven.

The search process for Levin’s successor is already underway, with some in the Yale community already expressing displeasure that the selection is not being conducted in a democratic manner.

Harvard University

Crimson to nix quote review

The Harvard Crimson is pushing back against administrators in response to a practice they say has created for “constrained interviews.”

The newspaper’s president and managing editor published an open letter this week informing readers that they will be requiring reporters to get permission from Crimson leadership before submitting to the practice of “quote review,” or gaining approval from a source before printing direct quotes that were said in an interview.

“Given our belief that quote review runs counter to the most important principles of openness and truth on which journalism is grounded, we do not foresee that we will be willing to grant such permission to our reporters this semester,” the editors wrote.

Cornell University

Financial aid changes have broad effects

In a cutback from its previous financial aid offerings, Cornell University announced over the summer that it will no longer provide no-loan packages to all students whose parents make under $75,000 a year.

The school’s administration defended the plan in a press release, saying that the changes — which have drawn negative reactions — were necessary to ensure the “long-term sustainability” of need-based aid.

The Cornell Daily Sun reported last week that students with work-study financial aid packages will also be expected to work more hours because of the changes.

Princeton University

Tilghman ordered to turn over Google records

As part of a class action lawsuit, Princeton University President Shirley Tilghman has been ordered to turn over her correspondence with top Google executives.

Tilghman, who serves on Google’s board of directors, is not being targeted specifically with the subpoena, The Daily Princetonian reported.

The lawsuit claims inappropriate action by some of Google’s top executives, and is seeking copies of correspondence from all members of the company’s board. Tilghman joined Google’s board of directors in 2005, with support from the school’s board of trustees.

Dartmouth College

New alcohol policy to take effect

Dartmouth College plans to implement new harm reduction, alcohol and hazing policies on Sept. 21.

According to The Dartmouth, the policies — which were first proposed over the summer — will include random walkthroughs conducted by security officers in common areas and harsher penalties for alcohol and hazing violations.

The school’s administration has worked over the summer with Greek leadership to craft the policies, as well as student leaders from other organizations. Before the policies go into effect, Dartmouth plans to hold an open forum to answer questions and address concerns.