alexjefferson

Alex Jefferson

The Daily Pennsylvanian spoke with College junior Alex Jefferson, the new president of Hillel, about his plans for the Jewish community hub.

DP: Right after being elected President of Penn Hillel, you flew to Denver, Colorado to attend the Jewish Federations of North America’s General Assembly. What was this conference all about?

A.J.: The goal is to get as many passionate Jewish minds as possible into one place at one time … as a Hillel President-elect, I got to speak [with other Hillel leaders] and learn about how their board works and their programming. I met with the national Hillel board and picked their brains … I also met with Federation leaders from across America and got to network professionally. There was also so much idea sharing — between day schools, rabbis, synagogues … it was about getting people who care and are involved to share their experiences.

DP: What does your vision for Penn Hillel involve?

A.J.: It involves a new model of Jewish involvement … in the “fortress” model, you come and participate [in an event], but other people planned it. This won’t lead you to make Judaism an inherent part of your life. Judaism is a living, breathing part of my daily experience … and my question is, how do we create that across campus, and make Judaism an active part of [students’] lives? In the “ten person” model, it’s not a committee planning an event … people are planning it for themselves and their friends. Their Jewish identity [will] be enhanced by being part of the process. I want to work on smaller, intimate events to empower people – not just the Hillel regulars.

My first goal is to create ways to make the community of [Hillel] regulars more cohesive, collaborative, and socially communal, so people can get to know and learn from each other. Second, for the people who are not Hillel regulars … I want to engage them and help them explore Judaism. How do we help that first group relate to groups outside of the building? If we don’t have a greater Jewish community, we’ve lost sight of our goal.

DP: What do you see as the biggest challenge facing you in the coming year?

A.J.: If we can get this model up and running … my fear is that the experience I’ve created won’t really be inherently Jewish. Will [these events] still contain what makes Judaism so special? In breaking down the traditional institutions, are we losing the reason we want to do this?

DP: Will your plan involve any changes to Hillel board?

A.J.: This is the year that National Hillel has put an emphasis on restructuring leadership. Currently, the Steering Committee comes up with a vision and then works with the lower committees — I think that model is flawed. Research shows that we need to evolve into a new model, where bureaucracy isn’t … top-down. My goal for the next three weeks is figuring out how to structure the board. A potential model might [include] a position on the steering committee that will share a general vision [and] oversee events but allow people to run them on their own.

DP: What are your plans for interfaith and community service programming at Hillel?

A.J.: My position is much more focused on the Jewish community at large … but we will work with PRISM, Christians, Muslims, etc. to collaborate on events and build a relationship. … And social justice, outside of its religious component, is the biggest focus of Hillel, so it will certainly stay a top priority.

This article was updated from its original version to clarify Jefferson’s explanation of the Hillel board’s current model.