09182010_football_tailgate011
The first football game of the season against Lafayette, preceded by the first tailgate Credit: Pete Lodato

The Athletics Department is trying to add a new tradition to the University’s culture: tailgating.

Penn launched its first tailgate two weeks ago at the football season opener against Lafayette, and organizers hope the tradition will continue before every Red and Blue home game.

“It’s going to be the same generic college football tailgate, which is what I think a lot of people have been wanting and everybody’s asked for — it’s whatever we make it,” said College junior and former quarterback John Hurley, who helped plan the event.

What started as an initiative between Penn Athletics staff, a number of Penn athletes and the Undergraduate Assembly is beginning to branch out to other groups.

“I think it’s best that student groups are beginning to get into it,” UA president Matt Amalfitano said. “The first event was mainly the school, but now what you’re finding is individual student groups that are using it to plug into what they’re doing.”

The Interfraternity Council is one such student group that hopes to incorporate the tailgate into its own projects. According to Amalfitano, IFC plans to host a Greek Week “wrap-up event” at the tailgate this Saturday.

Despite the success of the first pre-game barbecue, Hurley said that this Saturday’s installment will undergo a few tweaks.

One of the larger issues with the previous tailgate was that not everyone who attended went to the game. Hurley had a few suggestions to remedy this problem.

“[We’re hoping to] give away free T-shirts or a cup with Penn Football on it with the schedule. So if everyone files into the game, [they will] get a free shirt,” he said.

Hurley estimated that around 1,000 people attended last weekend’s tailgate, and he expects that number to double.

To accommodate this increase, the University has provided more space for tailgaters.

“We’re allowed to spill onto all of the tennis courts and the entire walk up along [David Rittenhouse Laboratory], so we have that whole area,” Hurley said.

As this new tradition expands and grows, many hope it will reinvigorate school spirit.

“We’re kind of just experimenting right now … [but] it’s an opportunity for basically the biggest party on Penn’s campus every week,” Hurley said.