A 28-year-old female was struck by a SEPTA Route 40 westbound bus at 40th and Spruce streets at about 3:45 p.m. Wednesday, according to SEPTA spokeswoman Sylvana Hoyos and the Division of Public Safety.

The woman sustained minor injuries and was transported to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. She is now in stable condition.

Penn, Philadelphia and SEPTA police were immediately on the scene, along with medical personnel.

A construction worker who witnessed the accident said he heard a scream and saw a young Asian woman wedged beneath the front of the bus.

A Wharton senior who preferred to remain anonymous witnessed the scene from his second-floor window. He said only the woman’s head and torso were visible, adding that she did not appear to be under the wheel. He reported that the bus had been making a left onto Spruce Street.

He described witnesses on the street screaming, gathering around the woman and instructing the bus driver to back up. He said a fire truck arrived approximately a minute and a half later.

SEPTA officials later arrived and removed the driver from the bus for questioning. All passengers were also removed from the bus.

The accident is currently under investigation.