Wharton’s online publication is now expanding to the Middle East.

Knowledge@Wharton — Wharton’s online research and business analysis journal — just launched an Arabic edition.

Arabic Knowledge@Wharton will include articles centered on the Middle East’s growing economic importance to the global economy in both English and Arabic.

Launched in the United States in 1999, Knowledge@Wharton is now published in five languages and has 1.4 million registered subscribers, according to Mukul Pandya, executive director and editor-in-chief of Knowledge@Wharton.

The Arabic version joins the original English versions published in America and India, the Spanish and Portuguese versions published in Latin America and the Chinese version.

An Australian edition in collaboration with the Australian School of Business will also be launched on April 19.

“We will collaborate with them to deliver knowledge from Knowledge@Wharton to their students,” he said. “They will provide research about Australia to Knowledge@Wharton subscribers.”

Pandya said work on the Arabic edition began last June.

According to Roberta Shell, editorial director of Knowledge@Wharton, the Arabic edition represents “a chance to explore this whole new region that has such a big impact on our readers.”

Partnership with the Wharton Entrepreneurship and Family Business Research Center @ CERT — established by Wharton and the Centre of Excellence for Applied Research and Training in the Middle East — prompted the creation of Knowledge@Wharton’s Arabic edition, according to Pandya.

Wharton Management professor and lead faculty member for Wharton’s involvement with CERT Raphael Amit said the website is a way for the school to communicate with the Middle East concerning knowledge that is important to the region.

“By publishing in their language on issues that are important to them, we believe we can have a big impact — and that’s very important to us,” he said.

Knowledge@Wharton is also looking to launch an Israeli version, Pandya said.

“If you look at the Middle East, it is important not to be one-sided,” he said.

Shell said the website is planning a version for high-school students and is thinking about a European website. Pandya added that conversations for future versions are also ongoing in Asia.