Commuters and pedestrians alike will be happy to learn that construction on the South Street Bridge is proceeding steadily and according to plan. The bridge is expected to open by Thanksgiving 2010.

Construction is proceeding “on time, on budget and on schedule,” said Marcia Wilkof, Democratic leader of the city’s 30th Ward, located to the east of the bridge.

“Everyone’s delighted — people can’t wait for it to open,” Wilkof said. Characterizing the construction as a “necessary inconvenience,” she added that “everyone realized that the bridge needed to be rebuilt, and is looking forward to having it reopen in November.”

All bridge piers and abutments, along with 11 of 12 girder spans, have been completed, Philadelphia Streets Department Chief Engineer for Surveys and Design Dave Perri wrote in an e-mail. The concrete bridge deck has also been poured on five of the 12 spans.

In the early planning stages of bridge construction, Wilkof facilitated meetings between Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, the Streets Department and local neighborhoods. The collaborative process resulted in a series of final recommendations to the mayor regarding modifications that the bridge should undergo.

Along with Jim Campbell, president of the South Street Bridge Coalition, Wilkof began working with the Streets Department and PennDOT to negotiate improvements to the bridge since Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter took office.

According to Wilkof, the revamped bridge will be pedestrian and bicycle friendly, as well as accommodating to car traffic.

Perri said the new bridge will also feature “enhanced lighting, glass tower elements and river overlooks.”

In addition, the bridge’s new design recognizes its role in “connecting two great neighborhoods, as well as giving access to Schuylkill banks,” Wilkof said.

She added that while the bridge’s new design hearkens back to that of its predecessor, it is better suited to the context of West Philadelphia and southwest Center City compared to the original, and “fits nicely” into the Philadelphia skyline.

“Bridge construction is proceeding exactly the way we anticipated … it’s going very well and we’re pleased with the progress being made,” she said.

A connection to the future extension of the Schuylkill River trail is slated for construction.

Reconstruction of the original South Street Bridge, which first opened in 1923, began in December 2008.