Despite several season-ending injuries, the Penn men’s swimming team can still savor a battle for southeastern Pennsylvania swimming supremacy.

The Quakers will take on Division II powerhouse West Chester at Sheerr Pool tonight at 6 p.m.

Though freshman Conor Blackwood has returned to full health, holes still remain in the roster as a result of stress fractures and broken bones.

However, Penn (4-3, 4-3 Ivy) dominated Yale and Dartmouth two weeks ago as a result of swimmers stepping up to fill positions. Head coach Mike Schnur still plans to alter their usual lineup today — not just to compensate for injuries but also to give swimmers a mental break.

“When we move people around, we’re putting them into positions of strength,” Schnur said. “We’re also going to see a lot of the younger guys get a chance to compete.”

West Chester (3-3) boasts an impressive D-II reputation both nationally and within its division, where it has been the defending Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference champion since 1999. This competitiveness and their close location are two reasons why the Quakers continue to compete against the Rams.

Since West Chester is a state-affiliated institution, the roster is full of local swimmers that know or have competed against Penn swimmers in high school.

“I know [West Chester’s] Kenny McCormick really well,” sophomore Brendan McHugh said. “I knew him all through high school; our club teams were rivals.”

McCormick, a junior who transferred from Penn State back to his hometown, now leads the Rams along with seniors Brendan Fanslau, David Smoker and Max Bernardes.

Though West Chester has given the Red and Blue a tough test in past years (three years ago, then-freshman Kyle Loughran touched out West Chester’s Matt Golebiewski to win the final relay and the meet), Penn should come out on top this year.

“We’re a little stronger and deeper than [West Chester],” Schnur said.

Nevertheless, the familiarity between the two teams brings a certain level of pride.

“It’s really one of the meets to decide who’s the best swim team in southeast Pennsylvania,” Loughran said. “It carries a lot of weight in both teams’ minds for supremacy.”

But don’t expect to see swimmers in their usual events.

James Fee, the usual 200-yard freestyle seed, will swim the 1000 freestyle, in a possible showdown with West Chester’s Bernardes. McHugh will swim the 200 freestyle in Fee’s place, an off-event for the breaststroker.

Do expect, however, a few records to fall. McHugh is vying for the pool record in the 200 breaststroke (2:03.28) to match his team record in the same event.

Additionally, the 200 freestyle relay team of sophomore Brett Gomes, senior Chris Buck, sophomore Peter Amos and Loughran may also break the Sheerr Pool record of 1.22.55.

Though the Quakers will enjoy a fun meet this evening, they continue to focus their efforts on preparation for the Ivy League Championships.