A 21-year-old man, unaffiliated with the University, will face charges after allegedly lying to police about being the victim of a shooting.

Police responded to a report of a "person with a gun" near 40th and Market streets at about 11:35 a.m. yesterday, according to Division of Public Safety spokeswoman Stef Cella.

The man claimed that he had been the victim of a robbery and had been shot, Lt. John Walker of the Philadelphia Police said.

Police determined that the man had actually had the gun in his pocket and accidently shot himself in the leg.

The man admitted that the wound was self-inflicted, Penn Police Chief Mark Dorsey said.

The man was taken to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania for treatment. He was in stable condition yesterday evening.

Walker said the man will face charges for possessing a gun illegally and for filing a false police report.

The man did not have a permit to carry the gun, Walker said, but it is not yet known if the gun was purchased legally. Police would not release the man's name because charges had not yet been filed.

Penn Police increased deployment in the area, Cella said.

Dorsey said the case is still active and police are continuing to investigate the incident.