Dec. 11, 12:25 p.m.

Engineering sophomore Ryan Smith passed away early Thursday morning following injuries suffered in a fall from the Quadrangle on Saturday.

Matt Waller, spokesman for the office of the Vice Provost for University Life, said Smith passed away at about 3 a.m. at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.

Smith, a Digital Media Design major from Rose Valley, Pa., fell from the fifth floor of the south side of Fisher Hassenfeld College House about 10:30 a.m. Saturday.

It is not clear what caused the fall, but his family said through a University spokeswoman earlier this week that they do not believe it was a suicide attempt.

Early this morning, Smith's head injuries became worse, limiting blood flow to his brain, according to a statement from his family on CarePages, a HUP Web site where patients' families can post messages.

Viewings will be held on Friday at Hagen's Funeral Home, 15 E. 4th St. in Media, Pa., from 2 to 4 p.m. and from 7 to 9 p.m. The funeral mass will be held at St. Mary Magdalen Parish in Media at 1 p.m. on Saturday.

"I offer my deepest condolences to the Smith family on the tragic loss of their beloved son Ryan, as does every student, faculty and staff member of our University of Pennsylvania community," Penn President Amy Gutmann said in a statement. "We all are very grateful that we had the opportunity to share Ryan with his family and friends during his all too brief life. Ryan will be dearly remembered as an enthusiastic student, a wonderful friend, and a tireless cheerleader and adored peer advisor for the Digital Media Design program."

Related StoriesPolice still investigating Engineering sophomore's fall from the Quad - News