When it comes to arson, Penn would make Smokey the Bear proud.

According to Division of Public Safety statistics from 2002 to 2006, only four intentionally set fires have occurred at Penn: two in 2002, one in 2005 and one last year. A fifth destroyed a house on S. 41st Street at the end of January, and Philadelphia Police are now handling the arson investigation.

But Penn's low numbers may be an anomaly. According to statistics from the U.S. Fire Administration, arson is the leading cause of fires at U.S. colleges, accounting for one-third of all dormitory fires.

Ted Bateman, director of fire and emergency services at Penn, said that, despite DPS's fire-prevention programs' effectiveness, Penn students also deserve the praise for the University's low arson rate.

"I think it's a credit to the student population and the collective maturity of the students," he said. "There's a level of maturity and sophistication at the campus that makes my job a lot easier."

Vandalism is the leading cause of arsons, making student behavior critical in preventing intentionally set fires from occurring.

Bateman said DPS's emphasis on reaching out to students has fostered an environment in which vandalism and arson are rare.

DPS statistics show that there were 24 instances of vandalism in 2005 and 23 in 2004.

At the University of Maine, on the other hand, 35 arsons and 54 arsons occurred in those two years, respectively - all the result of acts of vandalism, University of Maine Police Chief Noel March said.

March attributed the arson cases to a combination of irresponsible fire play, alcohol and boredom.

Bateman said a lack of awareness of a fire's destructive nature contributes to the number of arsons on college campuses.

"Students truly do not understand the destructive power and unpredictability of fire," he said.

As for the few arson cases at Penn, Bateman said all four deliberately set fires he witnessed over the past seven years were the result of "pranks with catastrophic consequences."

DPS statistics show that cooking mishaps accounted for 63 of 82 fire reports at Penn in 2006 and 66 of 78 fire reports in 2005.

Popcorn is the culprit in 75 percent of fires caused by cooking accidents, Bateman said.

Kitchens in the high rises may share the blame: DPS spokeswoman Karima Zedan said students often have trouble detecting heat levels on the dorms' electric stoves.

In general, on college campuses nationwide, cooking causes 21 percent of fires, according to U.S. Fire Administration statistics.