A proposal to revamp the University's fall calendar is now in the administration's hands.

Tomorrow the undergraduate deans will meet with members of the Undergraduate Assembly to discuss the possibility of moving the beginning of classes to before Labor Day, adding extra reading and exam days and potentially creating other breaks during the fall semester.

The changes -- which were unanimously supported by the UA in a recent proposal -- aim to create a parity between the spring and fall semesters.

The spring semester is currently one week longer than the fall and has an additional reading day and exam day because the fall term is shortened by the tradition of starting class after Labor Day.

If the University decides to change the calendar, the new start dates would likely be implemented for the fall of 2006, College of Arts and Sciences Dean Dennis DeTurck said.

The calendar change "would solve some problems," DeTurck said, later adding that what "people need to understand is that you really are giving something up" by starting classes earlier.

Although the earlier start date may allow for a longer Thanksgiving or winter break, in addition to extra reading and exam days, students and faculty would have to sacrifice several days of the summer.

"Every [school] has a different perk," Deturck said, "Penn's perk, if you want to look at it that way, is that summer is long, and I think Penn faculty certainly, and I think even some students, appreciate that."

Six out of 10 of Penn's peer institutions whose final exams end before winter break begin school before Labor Day.

DeTurck said that Penn's long summer gives students seeking competitive jobs or internships an advantage by allowing them to get out in the market earlier.

However, many off-campus apartment leases begin at the first of the month, and the change could make it difficult for students moving back to campus.

Nonetheless, DeTurck predicted that if school were to begin earlier, landlords would adjust their leases accordingly.

At present, tradition seems to be the only reason for beginning classes after Labor Day.

"I'm not sure Franklin began classes after Labor Day," DeTurck said. "But certainly [it has been like this] for a long time. ... Something that ingrained is always going to be hard to change."

DeTurck described reactions from the deans, faculty and students as "mixed at best."

Political Science professor Henry Teune said the advantages of the change are not obvious.

"It seems to me that when you do something a certain way, then there is a certain advantage in keeping the rhythm," Teune said.

He added that the addition of extra exam and reading days "prolongs the pressure. You have more time to feel anxious."

However, Chemistry professor Donald Fitts had no objections to any of the changes.

"I'd like to end a little bit sooner than we do," Fitts said of a potential earlier winter break.