10-08-23-penn-medicine-riley-eastham
Penn Medicine signed the national Health Sector Climate Pledge on April 22. Credit: Riley Eastham

Penn Medicine commemorated Earth Day 2024 by joining the Health Sector Climate Pledge, a nationwide initiative aimed at reducing the healthcare industry's impact on climate change. 

According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, this pledge, supported by the White House, requires healthcare organizations to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions by 50% by 2030 and achieve net zero emissions by 2050. Signing this pledge marks another effort toward Penn's commitment to achieving net-zero greenhouse gas emissions from its endowment investments by 2050.

Over 130 organizations have joined the pledge, including nearly 1,000 hospitals, health centers, suppliers, and insurers, representing a collective commitment to addressing the healthcare sector's contribution to climate change — which accounts for approximately 8.5% of all greenhouse gas emissions in the United States. 

Penn Medicine's decision to join the pledge aligns with its strategic plan to become the nation's most environmentally friendly healthcare organization. As part of the University's Climate and Sustainability Action Plan, Penn Medicine aims to reach 100% carbon neutrality by 2042, eight years ahead of the national target. 

The comprehensive assessment of carbon emissions from its six hospitals and over 150 properties resulted in a carbon baseline report, revealing that the health system produces over 300,000 metric tons of carbon dioxide equivalent annually.

To reduce its carbon footprint, Penn Medicine has partnered with the Great Cove Solar Energy Facilities in Central Pennsylvania. This solar array generates 220 megawatts of electricity annually, providing the equivalent of 70% of the electricity needs for the University of Pennsylvania and Health System facilities in Philadelphia. This renewable power agreement is expected to lower the health system's carbon footprint by 50,000 metric tons annually.

Additional initiatives focus on reducing transportation emissions. Penn Medicine offers discounted public transportation passes to employees and is installing electric vehicle charging stations at its campuses. It also emphasizes sustainable building practices, aiming for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design certification for all new construction projects, with its latest hospital, the Pavilion, becoming the first healthcare facility to receive LEED Gold Building Certification for Sustainability.

Penn Medicine is also phasing out desflurane, an anesthetic gas with an extended atmospheric lifespan, by the end of 2024. 

Other efforts include reducing red bag waste, reprocessing single-use devices like pulse oximeters, and minimizing paper waste through a no-print initiative. The adoption of contactless check-in processes not only reduces paper usage but also improves the patient experience.