Attendees at the 13th annual Natives at Penn powwow stand to honor the head staff and organizers at the March 23 event.

Credit: CHENYAO LIU

On Feb. 2, 1994, Natives at Penn — known then as Six Directions — was recognized as an official member of the United Minorities Council. 30 years later, Natives at Penn and the Greenfield Intercultural Center (GIC) celebrated their respective 30th and 40th anniversary at Penn's 13th annual Powwow in the Hall of Flags. The powwow was open to the public and featured singing, intertribal dancing, and Indigenous vendors. 

Credit: Chenyao Liu

Attendees at the Natives at Penn Powwow paired up to participate in a mosquito dance. 

Credit: Chenyao Liu

The Red Blanket Singers of the Nanticoke Lenni-Lenape nation were the Host Drum for the powwow. 

Credit: Chenyao Liu

Keturah Peters, 2018 Nursing graduate and the Head Woman Dancer, presented a handmade drum to Natives at Penn. 

Credit: Chenyao Liu

Head Man Dancer Brian Weeden leads an intertribal dance. Lenape social dances are typically performed counter-clockwise, and Lenape instruments are usually small enough to be held in the hand and shaken or beaten upon. 

Credit: Chenyao Liu

Three dancers participated in the Women’s Fancy Shawl, a butterfly-like dance that highlights the dancers’ shawls and footwork.

Credit: Chenyao Liu

College seniors Aneeyá Lowe (center), Tristan Fajardo, and Aubrey Welch were presented with blankets to celebrate their work and dedication to Natives at Penn. 

Credit: Chenyao Liu

Ann Dapice,  founder of Penn's Association of Native Alumni, recognized the work of Native students at Penn in honoring and increasing awareness of Indigenous cultures and contemporary issues through events like the annual powwow, Indigenous Peoples' Day March, Native Heritage Month celebrations, and Earth Month collaborations.