03-17-24-penn-campus-chenyao-liu

The Daily Pennsylvanian's list of interesting classes with low difficulty ratings include 'ANTH 1238: Introduction to Medical Anthropology', 'ITAL 1900: Italian History on Screen: How Movies Tell the Story of Italy', and 'ENGL 0755: Listening in Trying Times'.

Credit: Chenyao Liu

Are you still seeking out one final class to complete your spring 2024 schedule? Look no further, as The Daily Pennsylvanian has collected a list of easy classes for next semester — all of which have difficulty ratings of less than 2.1, according to Penn Course Review.

ITAL 1900: Italian History on Screen: How Movies Tell the Story of Italy

This class, taught by Filippo Trentin, will delve into the portrayal of Italy on screen throughout history and in the present day. It will include reading literary and historical texts and watching movies — and all lectures and readings are in English. 

With a 1.90 difficulty on Penn Course Review, it fulfills both the Cross-Cultural Analysis and Arts and Letters requirements in the College of Arts and Sciences. It is cross-listed with the Cinema and Media Studies Department, and will be held from 1:45 - 3:15 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  

Trentin has previously worked as a postdoctoral fellow at the ICI Berlin Institute of Cultural Inquiry from 2013 to 2015. Trentin’s research interests include 20th-century Italian literature and cinema, queer studies, and psychoanalysis.  

ANTH 1238: Introduction to Medical Anthropology

This introductory course — which will be taught by Emily Ng — focuses on applying central concepts of anthropology to human health and illness with a focus placed on contemporary applications. It is cross-listed between the Anthropology and Health and Societies Departments. 

The course's lecture section will be held from 1:45 - 2:45 p.m. on Mondays and Wednesdays, and students are also required to register for a recitation section.

Although not yet reviewed for Ng, previous Penn Course Reviews have included difficulty levels of 1.92 and 1.80. 

ENGL 0755: Listening in Trying Times

This Stavros Niarchos Foundation Paideia course will be taught by Aaron Levy and focus on connecting with other spaces and times through the theories and histories of listening. Its description on Path at Penn calls listening “an essential skill that can help us find solace and community together, connecting what is singular in us with what binds us to another.” 

The course — which will meet once a week on Wednesdays from 12 - 2:59 p.m., and has seats for fifteen students — has a Penn Course Review difficulty rating of 1.33. 

FNAR 0020: Contemporary Art Studio

This class will be taught by Matthew Neff and is an introduction to studio-based art practices. It will include numerous multi-disciplinary projects, and will include visiting lectures and field trips. It has a Penn Course review difficulty level of 1.44. 

The class, which has 12 available seats for students, is offered from 1:45 - 4:45 p.m. on Mondays and Wednesdays.

Neff is the director of the undergraduate program in Fine Arts and his artistic work focuses on power negotiations of both the present and past. 

SAST 0001: Introduction to Modern India

This course, which is taught by Daud Ali, is cross listed between both the South Asian Studies and History departments. It will focus on Indian history from the 16th through 21st centuries and multiple themes, including trade between India and the West in the 17th century, the creation of the Indian middle class, and India's nuclearization.

The course will be taught from 12 - 1:29 p.m. on Mondays and Wednesdays. It has a difficulty rating of 2.02 and counts for both the Cross Cultural Analysis and History & Tradition College requirements.