Credit: INSIA HAQUE

February is Black History Month. The Daily Pennsylvanian will be publishing a special series of news, sports, opinion, and multimedia pieces to spotlight the stories, perspectives, and truths of Black culture and history at Penn and in the larger Philadelphia community.

With our intent of keeping this page live and updated throughout the month, this issue will serve to celebrate Black life at the University and tell stories that have been long overlooked by both Penn and the DP. Our reporters will cover commemorative events across campus held during February. At the same time, our staff will probe deeper into the historical injustices that the Black community has faced at Penn — as well as the inequities and anti-Blackness that persist to this day.

We hope you enjoy this series and take with you a new sense of urgency for the essential stories of Black Penn community members that still need to be told. Black History Month provides a vital opportunity and an impetus for education and conversation. But beyond the 29 days spanning February, the DP is committed to holding institutions accountable, celebrating the accomplishments of diverse communities at Penn, and telling the facts, as they are.

Sincerely,

Jared Mitovich

Editor-in-Chief

Anna Vazhaeparambil

Executive Editor