justin-watson-zach-sheldon
Former Penn tight end Justin Watson won his third Super Bowl with the Kansas City Chiefs on Feb. 11. Credit: Zach Sheldon

Just keep winning, just keep winning, just keep winning. 

On Sunday night, Penn football alumnus and 2018 Wharton graduate Justin Watson brought home another familiar piece of hardware — a championship ring. In Super Bowl LVIII at Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas, the Kansas City Chiefs outlasted the San Francisco 49ers in a grueling overtime game by a score of 25-22. In a city known for show-stopping performances, Watson, who plays wide receiver for the Chiefs, and company put on a spectacle that had fans on the edge of their seat throughout.

With their latest rendition of another double-digit comeback victory, the Chiefs found themselves in an early hole down 10-0 to the Niners late in the second quarter. Needing a spark, Watson provided a critical 21-yard catch on third down to extend the drive. Later in the fourth quarter, the wideout also hauled in an important 25-yard catch that brought the Chiefs within striking distance of a touchdown. Watson would finish the game with three catches for 54 yards.

While at Penn, Watson rewrote the record books. He is No. 1 in multiple categories, including receptions with 286, receiving yards with 3,777, and receiving touchdowns with 33. He is also a two-time Ivy League Champion for the Quakers. After securing his third Super Bowl ring Sunday, Watson tied 2010 Brown graduate James Develin for the most all-time by an Ivy League player.

Leading up to the Super Bowl, Watson spoke to the media reflecting on his time with Penn football. He noted how the camaraderie and brotherhood he shared with his teammates, which continues to this day, was unlike any other school.

“My Pro Day, I probably had 80 of my teammates there supporting, cheering. I don’t think you see that at other schools,” Watson said. “Usually everyone is at the Pro Day competing for themselves and I still have more than any guys texting me every year going into the Super Bowl just wishing me luck.”

Although making the National Football League is a dream for many college athletes, Watson made sure to get the most out of an Ivy League education. School, to Watson, was just as paramount as his success on the gridiron.

“The Ivy League degree is the greatest insurance policy that money can buy. When I went to Penn, the last thing I was thinking about was playing in the [National Football League],” Watson said. “I wanted to play four great years of college football and get a great degree. To see the development at Penn for them to install the sports lessons to bring me here to my third Super Bowl is awesome.”

A Wharton graduate, Watson even demonstrated his business knowledge, answering a financial question relating to the market economy from the media. Watson followed that up by providing the closest answer to calculating Taylor Swift’s airtime during the playoffs, highlighting his mathematical acuity.

“I think towards the later part of this year, maybe [Quarter 4], we’ll see a rate cut,” Watson said. “Obviously, Jerome Powell has continually fought against that but I think he's just trying to signal the market not to get too hot.”

With the Chiefs currently in a historic dynastic run after winning back-to-back Super Bowls, Watson sits in a unique position. Having won his first Super Bowl with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2021, Watson has caught passes from quarterback Tom Brady and now quarterback Patrick Mahomes. From one all-time great to another, good karma continues to follow Watson and the Chiefs.