11-07-23-cherelle-parker-election-party-chenyao-liu

2016 Fels Institute of Government graduate Cherelle Parker was inaugurated as Philadelphia’s 100th mayor on Jan. 2.

Credit: Chenyao Liu

Parker outlined her plan for her first 100 days as mayor in her inaugural address at The Met, stating that her administration will focus on addressing public safety concerns, shifting economic policies, and implementing clean and green initiatives throughout the city. 

Parker defeated Republican candidate David Oh in the mayoral election in November, becoming the first woman to serve as the city's mayor. On her first day in office, Parker’s administration released a 100-day action plan delineating how she intends to fulfill the promises made to her constituents throughout her campaign. 

"The reason why you have a copy of it is because it's a commitment to you and that means that I'm going to get it done because we gave our word," Parker said in her address.

On Jan. 2, Parker signed three executive orders focused on public safety, economic opportunities, and government visibility. 

The first executive order instructed Police Commissioner Kevin Bethel to enact a plan to tackle the drug crisis in Kensington and combat safety threats on a broader scale across the city.

The mayor’s second executive order aims to improve unemployment in Philadelphia by eradicating the prerequisite of a college degree for city employment. The decision to shift former employment requirements can be traced back to Parker’s campaign’s emphasis on greater access to opportunity

The third executive order is centered around a desire to bolster government visibility.

“[Residents] deserve to see [their] tax dollars at work in [their] neighborhood,” Parker said in her inaugural address.

The 100-Day Action Plan also unveiled her proposal to implement new “Clean and Green Initiatives” that will assist city officials in mitigating roadside waste, increasing recycling, and improving the city’s aesthetic. 

Another facet of the plan included her intent to waive unnecessary business licenses and permits as part of a new “PHL Open for Business” initiative. Under the policy, city departments would be required to submit a catalog of any licenses or permits deemed unnecessary.

Parker also plans to create a year round schooling initiative focused on developing extra-curricular programs and job opportunities for elementary students separate from operations offered during regular school hours. 

Several elected officials attended the inauguration, including U.S. Sen. Bob Casey (D-Pa.) and U.S. Reps. Dwight Evans and Brendan Boyle (D-Pa.).