michael-mann-photo-from-kleinman-center-for-energy-policy

Michael Mann, a Professor of Earth and Environmental Science at Penn, will receive the John Scott Award (Photo from Kleinman Center for Energy Policy).

Penn Professor Michael Mann, a leader in climate change research, received the John Scott Award from the Franklin Institute and the City of Philadelphia

Mann is the Presidential Distinguished Professor of Earth and Environmental Science and the director of the Penn Center for Science, Sustainability, and the Media, with a secondary appointment at the Annenberg School for Communication. He has made significant contributions to understanding the impact of human-caused climate change and the associated policy implications.

The John Scott Award, the oldest science award in the United States, includes a prize of $15,000. Recipients are selected by a national panel of scientists, emphasizing the significance of the recipients' contributions to their fields. 

Mann and Princeton University's Robert Socolow were recognized for his substantial contributions to enhancing human "welfare and happiness" through his work in climate science. 

A lead author on the Observed Climate Variability and Change chapter of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change Third Scientific Assessment Report in 2001, Mann’s work has earned him numerous honors. These include the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Outstanding Publication award in 2002 and recognition as one of the 50 most innovative leaders in science and technology by Scientific American.

In addition, Mann earned the 2022 Stroud Award for Freshwater Excellence, which recognizes individuals or institutions whose work helps conserve and ameliorate freshwater resources. Mann's publication record, which includes more than 200 peer-reviewed publications and numerous op-eds, showing his commitment to advancing public understanding of climate issues. 

Mann's latest book, “Our Fragile Moment: How Lessons from Earth's Past Can Help Us Survive the Climate Crisis,” was published in September. The book highlights his ongoing efforts to communicate the urgency and complexity of the climate crisis. 

Socolow and Mann's recognition was officially celebrated on Nov. 30 at the American Philosophical Society in Philadelphia, an institution founded by Franklin in 1743. 

“The award means a lot to me,” Mann told The Philadelphia Inquirer. “Because it reflects sort of the legacy of Benjamin Franklin. He was an environmentalist. You could even argue he was an early climate scientist and a climate advocate.”