12-07-23-josh-shapiro-candle-lighting-jean-park

Pennsylvania Governor Josh Shapiro visited Penn Hillel to celebrate Hanukkah on Dec. 7.

Credit: Jean Park

Pennsylvania Gov. Josh Shapiro reiterated criticism of Penn President Liz Magill after joining about 200 people gathered in the lobby of Penn Hillel on Thursday evening to celebrate the first night of Hanukkah. 

Shapiro joined in lighting the candles just two days after President Magill testified in Congress, including an exchange in which she neglected to state that calling for the genocide of Jewish people violates Penn’s policies of code of conduct. Her performance drew criticism from donors, alumni, and politicians — including Gov. Shapiro himself. 

After the event, Shapiro spoke with The Daily Pennsylvanian and other reporters, repeating his condemnation of Magill's comments about genocide of Jewish people to Rep. Elise Stefanik (R-N.Y.). 

When asked if he thought President Magill should resign following her congressional hearing, Shapiro responded that that was a question for the University Board of Trustees to answer. He said that he has “urged” the board to meet soon to decide whether or not her testimony “reflect the views and values of the board and of the University.” 

“I thought her testimony under oath before Congress was shameful and unacceptable,” Shapiro said. 

When asked about his reaction to Magill’s testimony during the congressional hearing, particularly when she said the University could only contextually condemn calls for Jewish genocide, Shapiro said that Magill failed a “simple, basic test.” 

“[It] was an easy, one-word answer to the congresswoman’s question,” Shapiro said. “Yes. That’s it. It’s all that [needed] to be said.”

At the hearing, Stefanik asked whether individuals who call for the genocide of Jewish people violate Penn’s policies or code of conduct. Stefanik described calls for "Intifada revolution" among some protesters on campus as calls for genocide of Jewish people.

The University's "Free Speech FAQs" detail Penn's guidelines governing hate speech. These rules state that speech can only be disciplined by the University if "the inflammatory speech intentionally and effectively provokes a crowd to immediately carry out violent and unlawful action."

"Universities can invest their efforts and resources in educating their members and in creating spaces and contexts for productive dialogue, but they cannot legitimately punish members — students, staff, and faculty — who choose not to participate in those, or who profess bigoted and other hateful views," Penn's policy reads. "This is especially true in open and public spaces, like Locust Walk."

Magill has since released a video expressing regret for this part of her statement during Tuesday’s congressional hearings. 

Shapiro added that leaders had a responsibility to “speak and act with moral clarity,” and that Magill and other university leaders present for the congressional hearing were all unsuccessful in doing so. 

During the event, Hillel Executive Director and Rabbi Gabe Greenberg spoke on the importance of the celebration of Chanukah in the midst of what he described as a “dark time” at the University and in the broader global context.

“There’s other times to talk about the negativity, and the external, and the haters,” Greenberg said. “That’s not what I want to say right now.”

Hillel co-presidents Lauren Krasilovsky and Eitan Weinstein, both College juniors, spoke after Greenberg. They spoke on the joy, positivity, resilience, strength, and unity that they were looking forward to celebrating during Hanukkah. 

“As a community, we are not alone. Hillel is always here for you,” Weinstein said. “We are stronger when we have everyone here in the building together.”

Shapiro spoke after the co-presidents, thanking Hillel leadership and expressing his appreciation for their presence on Penn’s campus and across Philadelphia. 

“There is no place Lori and I wanted to be on the first night of Chanukah, especially this year, than right here on the campus of the University of Pennsylvania,” Shapiro said.

He also emphasized the importance of student advocacy, and called upon students to use their voices to speak up on campus, and educate people saying “ignorant” things. 

Shapiro acknowledged the position of power that students, professors, and leadership at the University have at the moment, particularly in the national context. 

“I know you all didn’t sign up for this. You signed up to come to college … This was not a part of the contract. Yet this is the hand you’ve been dealt,” he said. 

College senior JJ Gluckman told the DP that such events were important to him as spaces to convene with his community. 

“There is a solid Jewish community here, despite what other people might think. Our lives are not context,” he said.

College first year Gabe Greenfield said he came to support the Jewish community on campus, stressing the importance of "begin [a] part of the community."

Krasilovsky expressed her appreciation for Shapiro’s leadership, calling him a strong leader and supporter of the Jewish community at Penn. 

“It was really amazing to have him join us for Chanukah.”