sohhl-logo-photo-courtesy-of-sohhl
The new Students of Hip Hop Legacy club recently hosted a DJ workshop, an aux wars event, and study hours for their members looking to share their love of hip-hop and gain insight into the music industry (Photo courtesy of SOHHL).

A new club gives students space to share their love for hip-hop and gain insight into the music industry. 

The Students of Hip Hop Legacy club aims to educate students about the culture and development of the industry through the years.

Wharton junior and club president Tami Owolabi decided to start the club this fall after attending virtual meetings of the SOHHL chapter at Virginia Tech University. She realized Penn lacked a pressure-free musical outlet and decided to introduce a similar environment at Penn. 

“There wasn’t a space on campus for my friends and me to go and simply be ourselves,” Owolabi said.  

SOHHL hosts discussions, workshops, and social events to celebrate the legacy of hip-hop. Although Penn is home to six dance groups that incorporate hip-hop into their performances, SOHHL differs from these as it focuses primarily on the evolving hip-hop industry, Owolabi explained. 

The club also offers multiple outlets for students to showcase their musical talents through production, performance, and community outreach. 

Owolabi said she wanted the club to foster a natural environment, stating that her primary goal is to remain as “authentic as possible.” 

To establish a pressure-free space, SOHHL steers away from the more rigid structure of pre-professional organizations. Instead, the club resembles “a chill hangout spot for you and your friends to listen to good music,” Owolabi said. 

In recent meetings, SOHHL hosted a DJ workshop, an "aux wars" event, and study hours. The DJ workshop drew a large turnout, Owolabi said. The gathering consisted of an informative presentation about turntablism, catered food, and a live demonstration teaching students how to use a DJ setup.

Wharton junior Leandra Archibald, who led the DJ workshop, emphasized hip-hop’s crucial impact on her identity. 

“It is inherent to who I am — a unification of where I am from and where I am now,” Archibald said. 

College junior Asha Vincent said that she attended the SOHHL meeting to build a network with other students.   

“I joined because I wanted to get to know other students with similar music taste,” Vincent said. 

Although hip-hop remains the main focus, the club will also cover genres such as R&B, rap, afrobeats, and house. Future events will include guest speakers, karaoke nights, and collaborations with other clubs.

Owolabi encouraged interested students to join, as membership is currently open to all. 

“I hope for everyone with an interest in music to come check SOHHL out,” she said. “There is something for everyone.”