baseball-in-mlb-collage-mark-derose-joe-miller-jake-cousins-photo-from-keith-allison-c-c-sa-2-0-julia-van-lare-and-nick-butcha
Photos from Left to Right: Alumni Pitcher Jake Cousins in his 2016 senior season, Alumni Mark DeRosa in the Toronto Blue Jays (Photo by Keith Allison C.C S.A 2.0), and Alumni Pitcher Joe Miller in his 2022 senior season. Credit: Nick Buchta , Julia Van Lare

With the MLB season on the horizon and Opening Day less than two weeks, here's a look at some Penn alumni who will be competing this season. 

Jake Cousins

The 6’ 4’’ pitcher was drafted by the Washington Nationals in the 20th round of the MLB draft in 2017. Since then, he has played for the Nationals’ minor league affiliate as well as the independent Schaumburg Boomers until signing with the Milwaukee Brewers in 2019. He is currently with the team, and has spent time in the minor and major leagues with the club, notching 65 career strikeouts and a 3-1 record in the MLB. In 2022, Cousins suffered an elbow injury, sidelining him for most of the season. He will compete for a spot to be on the Brewers’ final roster for this upcoming season. Cousins is also the cousin of Minnesota Vikings' Pro Bowl quarterback Kirk Cousins.

At Penn, Cousins was a unanimous first-team All-Ivy selection during his senior year, going 7-2 in 11 starts with a 3.15 ERA. He was the team's ace during his time as a Quaker.

Joe Miller

Miller was selected in the 11th round of the 2022 MLB draft by the Detroit Tigers as a pitcher. The former Quaker star has mainly played with the team’s minor league affiliate, the Single-A Lakeland Flying Tigers. He will likely spend another year in the minors hoping to make a major league roster in the future.

Continuing the trend of star pitchers coming from Penn to the pros, Miller led the Ivy League in strikeouts his senior year en route to a first-team All-Ivy selection. He will be missed on the mound for the Quakers, but he now has his sights set on the majors.

Mark DeRosa

DeRosa had a long and successful career in the MLB as a second and third baseman. He was a journeyman who played 16 seasons total for many teams, such as the Braves, Rangers, Cubs, Indians, Cardinals, Giants, Nationals, and Blue Jays. After announcing retirement in 2013, he joined MLB network as an analyst. Recently, DeRosa was hired to become the manager for Team USA for the 2023 World Baseball Classic and will look to bring home a championship in the international tournament.

DeRosa was a two-sport athlete at Penn, starring in baseball and as the starting quarterback for the football team. He forfeited his senior year of eligibility to play professional baseball, but continued to complete coursework and graduated from Wharton in 1997.