barack-obama-joe-biden-son-nguyen
Former President Barack Obama and President Joe Biden will hold a rally in Philadelphia for Pennsylvania gubernatorial candidate Josh Shapiro and Pennsylvania Senate candidate John Fetterman. Credit: Son Nguyen

President Joe Biden and former President Barack Obama will come to Philadelphia on Saturday, Nov. 5, ahead of the midterm elections on Nov. 8.

Biden and Obama will speak at a campaign event for Democratic nominee for Senate Lt. Gov. John Fetterman and Democratic gubernatorial candidate Attorney General Josh Shapiro. The exact time and location of the event have yet to be announced.

Former President Donald Trump will also be rallying on Nov. 5 in southwest Pennsylvania — supporting Republican Senate candidate Mehmet Oz and Republican gubernatorial candidate State Sen. Doug Mastriano. 

With the United States Senate currently split 50-50, eyes across the nation are turned to Pennsylvania's upcoming election that may determine the balance of power in the federal legislature. POLITICO reported that the race between Fetterman and Oz is considered a “toss-up." 

Fetterman is recovering from a stroke, leading some voters to question his ability to lead. Oz, on the other hand, has been questioned about his state residency, with many considering him a resident of New Jersey.

Shapiro, however, is likely to win the gubernatorial election over Mastriano, according to POLITICO.

The governor’s race in Pennsylvania could decide the future of abortion and voting laws in the state. While Shapiro pledges to continue protecting Pennsylvanians’ access to abortion,  Mastriano has repeatedly voiced that he is an ardent supporter of anti-abortion legislation

The DNC announced the visit on Monday and has yet to provide any specifics other than the visit being to Philadelphia. Obama is also planning to rally alongside Fetterman in Pittsburgh on Saturday morning before making the trip to Philadelphia. 

Biden has been actively campaigning in Pennsylvania this year, visiting the commonwealth nine times so far. He recently visited Philadelphia on Oct. 28, where he and Vice President Kamala Harris spoke at a Pennsylvania Democratic Party reception. This week, Biden plans to attend campaign events in Florida, Maryland, New Mexico, and California in addition to Pennsylvania.