princeton
Blaire Hall at Princeton University Credit: Kylie Cooper

Missing Princeton University junior Misrach Ewunetie has been found dead at the edge of Princeton's campus, almost a week after first being reported missing by the university.

Her body was discovered on Oct. 20 behind tennis courts at the southern edge of campus. Ewunetie was 20 years old and from Cleveland, with her family originally from Ethiopia. She was pursuing an A.B. in sociology and a certificate in applications of computing.

In a statement, the Office of the Mercer County Prosecutor said that “there were no obvious signs of injury and her death does not appear suspicious or criminal in nature.”

The statement also added that the medical examiner will conduct an autopsy to determine the “cause and manner of death.”

Ewunetie was last seen on Friday, Oct. 14. She was entering her dorm, located about a half mile from where she was eventually found. Witnesses and friends say that she returned to her dorm at around 3 a.m., returning from an eating club event.

Her brother Universe Ewunetie previously said that he last texted her on Thursday, with her phone eventually losing communication and sending out its last ping on Sunday, according to The Daily Princetonian.

Her family then requested that the University perform a wellness check. Princeton subsequently issued a TigerAlert that Ewunetie was missing in addition to increasing law enforcement presence on and around campus.

Her body was discovered by a facilities employee in an area local law enforcement described as “comparatively remote and restricted to authorized vehicles.”

In a statement, Princeton’s Vice President for Campus Life W. Rochelle Calhoun said “Misrach’s death is an unthinkable tragedy. Our hearts go out to her family, her friends, and the many others who knew and loved her.”

The statement also added that “the Department of Public Safety has been working closely with local and state law enforcement and does not believe there is any related threat to campus or the surrounding area.”  

According to NBC News, Ewunetie “was the valedictorian of her high school class and was attending Princeton on a full scholarship.”

Ewunetie’s brother described her as "a sweet soul" and "the most caring person you will ever meet."