08-21-18-penn-arts-pre-orientation-program
PennArts is one of six pre-orientation programs that Penn will offer in 2022 (Photo from PennArts).

Penn will be offering six pre-orientation programs in 2022: PENNacle, PennArts, PennCORP, PennGenEq, PennGreen, and PennQuest. The University will also offer a four-week summer experience called the pre-first year program, in which select students are invited to apply.

The pre-orientation programs range from four to five days long, and each has a different focus such as student leadership, community engagement, the arts, and sustainability. Programs are only open to incoming freshmen and take place directly before New Student Orientation. 

Applications for the 2022 pre-orientation programs are due on June 20, and decision notifications will be sent on July 6 via Penn’s application portal.

Penn’s pre-orientation programs cost $375 each, with the exception of PennGreen and PennQuest, which costs $395, and PennGenEq, which is free. Students requiring financial aid can receive financial assistance to help cover program fees. 

Rising College sophomore Terhi Nurminen participated in PennArts in 2021 and emphasized how the program helped introduce students to the basics of life at Penn.

“Having those extra days to have been on campus and done interesting programming that introduced us to a lot of different arts on campus was really helpful,” Nurminen said. "PennArts introduced to me what arts exist at Penn and I also got the chance to explore things that I wouldn’t otherwise do.”

Penn’s pre-first year program begins on July 23 and ends on August 20. The program allows students to learn about Penn’s resources while engaging in rigorous academic work and matches them with a peer mentor for their entire first year. According to Penn First Plus, approximately 180 students participate in the program annually. 

Students receive one course unit upon completion of the program which can then be applied toward graduation requirements in the form of a free elective. 

Rising Wharton junior Alex Gibson participated in Penn’s pre-first year program in 2020 and is a peer mentor for the 2022 program. He noted that the courses he took set him up for a successful transition into his fall semester. 

Rising College junior Kevin Huang also participated in Penn’s pre-first year program in 2020 and is now a peer mentor for the 2022 pre-first year program.

"PFP helped me to make new friends, explore Penn’s campus, and gain an academic and social edge,” Huang said. “I am so grateful for the mentors I have met, the friends I've made, and being able to make Penn feel like home before the official start of college.”