03-30-21-gimbel-gymnasium-chase-sutton
Penn Campus Recreation's dodgeball tournament will be held in the Gimbel Gymnasium at Pottruck. Credit: Chase Sutton

Penn Campus Recreation will host its annual 6-on-6 dodgeball tournament for Penn faculty and staff on Thursday — for the first time since 2019 — in celebration of the 126th annual Penn Relays.

Faculty and staff will be competing in teams of four to 12 players at the Gimbel Gym at Pottruck Health & Fitness Center from 4:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., and family and friends are invited to watch. Teams will compete to win prizes including apparel and free Penn Relays tickets, and the winning team will be deemed "Campus Cup Champion." All participants will receive a commemorative t-shirt.

The dodgeball tournament will be immediately followed by a Penn Relays Quizzo trivia contest, with questions on Penn’s history. Snacks and drinks will be available for purchase at the event. 

The dodgeball tournament is a part of the second annual Penn Relays Campus Cup Series, which is a collection of activities for Penn faculty and staff culminating in the main event of a campus-wide field day challenge.

Rachel Howard, the Coordinator of Business Development for Penn Athletics, wrote in a press release sent to The Daily Pennsylvanian that the Campus Cup presents a unique opportunity for faculty and staff to engage with each other and have fun. 

“Campus Cup is an event that fosters a shared experience and sense of community,” Howard said. “After the last two years, it feels like we need these social gatherings more than ever.”

Tasks at the main Campus Cup challenge consist of a 4x100 meters race, a tug-of-war, a shot put, a potato sack race, and a three-legged race. Teams participating in the dodgeball tournament and trivia contest will earn extra points towards the main event. 

The first Campus Cup was held in 2019, but events for 2020 and 2021 were canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. This year’s Campus Cup main event will be held on April 21 from 4:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. at Franklin Field.

The Penn Relays is the oldest and largest relay event in the country and has been held annually since 1895. However, the 2022 relays mark its return after a two-year hiatus, since games in the previous two years were canceled as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. 

The relays bring participants from high schools, colleges, and track clubs from around the world and the event has featured future Olympic athletes every year. The 2022 relays will be held from April 28 to April 30 at Franklin Field.

"Campus Cup inspires healthy interaction and competition between schools and centers," the press release stated.