03-16-22-tangen-hall-anna-vazhaeparambil

Venture Lab, located within Tangen Hall, received a $10 million donation from Penn graduate Richard E. Perlman and his wife, Ellen L. Hanson.

Credit: Anna Vazhaeparambil

Wharton graduate Richard E. Perlman and Ellen L. Hanson have committed $10 million to establish an Entrepreneurship Through Acquisition program and to support additional Venture Lab programs.

Hanson and Perlman's donation will be used to support curriculum development and delivery, workshops, research, and even offer financial support for University graduates — Perlman Fellows.

The ETA curriculum will provide students with an understanding of business from classrooms, workshops, and guest speakers. Perlman Fellows will be able to access alumni mentorship, gain research experiences, and use the resources offered by ETA as supporting factors in their entrepreneurship journey.

Located within Tangen Hall, Venture Lab serves as a University-wide hub for student entrepreneurship and innovation, bringing together Penn Wharton Entrepreneurship and other programs across campus. Students can use the lab to turn their innovative concepts, designs, and ideas into startups and businesses.

The new donation also adds to the previous Richard and Ellen Perlman Grand Prize, which was established in 2013 and funds the Startup Challenge, a competition for Penn student ventures.

“We are exceedingly grateful that Ellen and Richard’s vision and philanthropy will advance our position as leaders in the study and practice of entrepreneurship through acquisition, and ensure that the entrepreneurial spirit continues to thrive at Penn,” Interim President Wendell Pritchett wrote in a press release.