04-13-21-justice-for-daunte-wright-protest-ana-glassman

Two men were shot at 38th and Chestnut streets near Penn's campus just before midnight yesterday.

Credit: Ana Glassman

Just before midnight on Monday night, two gunmen shot two victims waiting in their car at a red light at the intersection of 38th and Chestnut streets, near Penn’s campus.

Police told NBC Philadelphia that the two victims were in their car when the gunmen, armed with both a rifle and a handgun, jumped out of their car and proceeded to fire "at least 15 shots." According to CBS Philadelphia, one of the victims, a 35-year-old man, was shot once in the back. The other, a 34-year-old man, was shot three times in the back. The shooters then returned to their car and drove away from the scene, CBS Philadelphia reported.

Construction workers nearby ducked for cover after hearing gunfire, and a police officer at the construction site was the first to respond, NBC Philadelphia reported. Stray bullets also hit nearby cars and an NAACP office.

The wounded driver drove himself and the other victim to Penn Presbyterian Medical Center where they are being treated for their injuries, 6abc reported.

A UPennAlert — delivered to students via email at 12:20 a.m. on Dec. 14 — notified students of “increased police activity” at South 38th and Chestnut streets, urging students to use caution and avoid the scene. There was no mention of a shooting in the email alert.

The shooting was one of at least three recent overnight shootings in Philadelphia, according to NBC Philadelphia.

The gunmen, who were last seen in a silver SUV, have not been located by Philadelphia police. NBC Philadelphia reported that police blocked off roads Tuesday morning to search for clues.