10-30-2021-mens-basketball-versus-east-stroudsburg-scrimmage-jelani-williams-samantha-turner
Senior guard Jelani Williams dribbles past the East Stroudsburg defense to pass to the other side during the scrimmage on Oct. 30. Credit: Samantha Turner

Entering his fifth year as a guard for the Quakers, senior Jelani Williams’ journey has been plagued by injury, but serves as a shining example of persistence. 

Having gone through not one, not two, but three ACL tears, he demonstrates the importance of mental fortitude in sport, and how contributions to a team can be made off the court. Despite being a veteran on the team, this year will mark his collegiate debut, leading the Red and Blue as co-captain with junior guard Lucas Monroe. 

Since high school, Williams' prospects have been bright. 

“From day one, he came in with the attitude where he wanted to be a great player and learn, exhibiting leadership abilities, even as a freshman, which is amazing to do. He took the bull by the horns and became a leader,” Eric Singletary, head coach at Williams' high school, Sidwell Friends, said. 

This commitment and talent was apparent to many others as well, stirring up excitement among Penn’s recruiters. 

“[The previous staff] told me about someone who was an incredible leader and excited about Penn,” Steve Donahue, who had assumed the role of head coach for the Quakers during Williams' senior year of high school, said. “I just thought [Williams] was someone we could build a program around. I was here in the 90s... he kind of reminded me of those guys who were all about winning and loved to compete."

In his senior year of high school, Williams suffered his first ACL tear, which raised doubts within himself about whether he could re-establish his level of performance pre-injury. This injury, however, did not deter his aspirations for coming to Penn.

“I wanted to come here and win every year. I knew I was coming into a program that hadn’t won in some time, so for me it was all about bringing Penn back to where it had been historically,” Williams said.

After staying on the bench his freshman season, Williams prepared to make his collegiate debut in his sophomore year, but that was disrupted by a second ACL tear over the summer. While this was incredibly disappointing, he focused on making an impact for his team off the court.

“I had a different perspective, being on the bench," Williams said. "You can see things the guys on the court can’t, so I wanted to take advantage of that, and give them some insight during timeouts and halftime, kind of like another coach on the bench." 

The misfortune persisted in the form of yet another ACL tear in his sophomore year, prompting him to introspect and decide to withdraw for one semester. 

Williams only has positive comments about his semester off.

“That was the semester that really got me over the hump," he said. "Going to school here is pretty stressful itself and having to watch practices everyday was hard for me, because I’d rather be out there, so I decided to work from home and really knock on the rehabilitation process. I also worked with a therapist to get my headspace right, and came back stronger."

He also spent that time teaching his little brother the game. The coaching helped him remain connected to basketball in a more relaxed manner. 

Looking to the year ahead, Williams will officially lead the Quakers as co-captain. The team is more inexperienced than previous years, with many young players looking to him for guidance. The team has also lost AJ Brodeur, the program’s all-time leading scorer, who graduated in 2020. 

“The only thing that I expect from myself is to stay consistent in my leadership every day," Williams said. "I think we have a team that can compete for a championship and I want to help the team get better and hit our stride emotionally for Ivy League basketball in January.” 

Williams' perseverance serves as a model for others on the team. 

“I think most people would give up after three ACL tears. I’ve learned never to give up from Jelani," Monroe said. "When I face some adversity, I look at Jelani and think ‘he’s still on the court, you have no excuse.’”

Donahue is looking forward to finally seeing his captain in game action.

“Over the last month [Williams] has got a little of his explosion back," Donahue said. "His cardio fitness is at a higher level, everything is improving."

Williams' journey serves as motivation to his teammates when they feel beaten down. Williams embodies one of the lessons ingrained into Penn men's basketball players — grit. 

“He looks at the game differently than he did as an 18-year-old freshman," Donahue said. "His injuries have given him more understanding and appreciation for what everyone is going through, which will all make him better both as a player and leader.”