03-27-21-penn-challenge-track-grace-oshea-chase-sutton

Track sophomore Grace O'Shea's favorite spot on campus is Shoemaker Green to relax before or after practices.

The Daily Pennsylvanian asked Grace O'Shea of Penn women’s track and field 15 questions about her time with the team, her experience at Penn, and her life overall. Here's what the sophomore had to say.

1. Can you introduce yourself?

My name is Grace O’Shea, and I grew up in Wyckoff, N.J. I’m the youngest in a family with three brothers. I’m a sophomore at the University of Pennsylvania studying political science with a minor in consumer psychology. And also I’m a short hurdler on the track team here at Penn.

2. How does it feel to be able to compete again?

Although it isn’t necessarily a normal season in terms of the training duration, competition, and travel, I feel like we are extremely blessed to have the opportunity to just have competition. I think after our long quarantine and the break we had from the sport, it’s just a blessing to be able to get in the competitive mentality again and run with our teammates.

3. What’s your favorite part of being a part of Penn track and field?

My favorite part is probably the team camaraderie. I feel like the energy is really unmatched on our team. All the event groups have this really intertwined feel which is really rare for a track team. Specifically in the sprints and hurdles group, we are also friendly and close with each other, so that’s really special for me.

4. Do you have any pre-race rituals?

I drink Pedialyte to make sure I’m hydrated, and I also listen to this same EDM playlist on meet day. And before every race, I pray.

5. What’s your favorite spot on campus?

Shoemaker Green. I love bringing a blanket and laying down there after or before practices, especially when it’s really nice out.

6. What do you do for fun?

Honestly, just hanging out with my family. I mean, it’s been weird with COVID-19. We can’t go home, but I have two dogs that are super cute. And hanging out with my friends.

7. How do you know Saquon Barkley?

My brother manages him.

8. What’s your favorite song for karaoke?

I’d have to go with "Party in the U.S.A." or "California Gurls." I love Katy Perry.

9. What is your favorite movie?

"The Blind Side."

10. What’s your biggest pet peeve?

When someone walks very slow in front of you and refuses to move. And I also hate bad drivers.

11. What’s your worst fear?

Very bad storms. Especially when you are on a boat, specifically.

12. Are you a morning or night person?

Definitely a night person. I struggle in the mornings.

13. What’s something on the top of your bucket list?

Skydiving, because I am very afraid of heights, and I think that would help conquer it.

14. Do you have any hidden talents?

I can play "Piano Man" on the harmonica.

15. What do you think you’ve gained the most from Penn track and field?

I think the ability to manage so many aspects of your life. With track, school, and a social life, there’s a lot going on. Being able to balance that and stay balanced generally as a person, I think that's a great skill to have in life. And being a very tough competitor. As Ivy League athletes, we have a lot on our plate. I just think you have to have a tough mindset to stay in it.