The Daily Pennsylvanian asked men's basketball sophomore Max Lorca-Lloyd 15 questions about his time with the team, his experience at Penn, and his life overall. Here's what he had to say.
1. Can you introduce yourself?
My name is Max Lorca-Lloyd. I’m a sophomore in the School of Arts and Sciences, and I’m from Brooklyn, New York.
2. How were you first introduced to basketball?
I was first introduced to basketball in fifth grade when my mom made me go to a basketball camp at my public school. I didn’t really like it because at the time I would play video games all day and didn’t like sports.
3. What made you decide to play basketball at Penn?
Over the past few years, I have been able to play a few guys that actually were at Penn like AJ [Brodeur], Jackson [Donahue], and Collin [McManus]. Once I knew I really loved basketball and it was time for me to make my decision, I felt like Penn was where I fit best in terms of growing on the court and off the court, and I just really enjoy the guys we have here.
4. Do you have any pregame rituals?
I like to get a quick 15-minute nap in and then I read over some game scouts, listen to some music to calm myself down, and get out there to warm up.
5. How have you been training during the pandemic?
I have been lucky to be in Florida for most of the time we have been in quarantine. I had an outdoor basketball court out there and a sand volleyball pit, so that was pretty much how I was staying in shape over the past few months.
6. What is your favorite basketball memory?
I would say when I first watched the Miami Heat win their first championship because my brother is from Miami, and I was always rooting for Miami because of him.
7. Who is a professional athlete you look up to?
I would definitely say I look up to LeBron James. He’s a great person in terms of what he uses his voice to show what he believes in. And in terms of just watching basketball, there’s a lot of guys I really like to watch and follow their film like Anthony Davis, Christian Wood, and Bam Adebayo.
8. What is a class you would recommend others to take?
It’s an Anthropology class with Professor Doug Smith. It’s called Culture and Commerce of the Economy.
9. Who is your favorite music artist?
A Boogie (wit da Hoodie).
10. What are some of your favorite movies and TV shows?
My favorite movies, I’d probably go with Lion King and Brother Bear. For TV shows, I’d say Power and Breaking Bad.
11. If you could have a superpower, what would it be?
I’d have the superpower to turn invisible.
12. Who is winning the Super Bowl?
I’m a Giants fan, I never really go for Tom Brady. I’m going to have to say Chiefs.
13. What do you look forward to the most when things are back to normal?
I’m just looking forward to being able to play basketball again with everybody. It’s been good doing our socially distanced practices and workouts, but I’m just ready to play.
14. What is an interesting fact that nobody knows about you?
When I was four, I used to take tap dancing classes.
15. Which teammate would you not want to date your sister?
Jonah [Charles]. I wouldn't trust Jonah to my sister, not at all.
All comments eligible for publication in Daily Pennsylvanian, Inc. publications.