137th-board-big-3

The Daily Pennsylvanian's 137th Board is led by (from left to right) Business Manager Alessandra Alessandra Pintado-Urbanc, President Dane Greisiger, and Executive Editor Ashley Ahn. (Photos from Alessandra Alessandra Pintado-Urbanc, Dane Greisiger, and Ashley Ahn)

With each year comes new student leaders at The Daily Pennsylvanian, and 2021 is no exception. Wharton junior Dane Greisiger will lead the organization as president amid the COVID-19 pandemic. College junior Ashley Ahn and College sophomore Alessandra Pintado-Urbanc will take charge as executive editor and business manager, respectively. 

Collectively, Greisiger, Pintado-Urbanc, and Ahn will make up the "big three" leaders of the company. Together, they aim to improve representation of diverse communities in news coverage as well as within the organization. They will also focus on sustaining the business operations of the organization despite the challenges brought on by the pandemic. 

As president, Greisiger will oversee both the editorial and business operations of the organization, including the DP, 34th Street Magazine, and Under the Button. He is also tasked with ensuring the success of the executive editor and business manager. In her role as executive editor, Ahn will emphasize improving the organization's digital products and newsletters as well as ensuring the accuracy and reliability of news coverage. As business manager, Pintado-Urbanc is responsible for managing the company's finances and creating a sustainable business model for the future.

Greisiger, a finance and legal studies concentrator from Bryn Mawr, Pa., will focus on improving the internal culture of the DP through a variety of initiatives that he believes will enrich the experience of the student staff. 

"While the DP is a news organization first and foremost, we also have an equally important mission of building leaders and successful individuals," Greisiger said. 

A former business manager, Greisiger also intends to assist Pintado-Urbanc in developing a successful financial future for the company.  

Pintado-Urbanc, a linguistics and German double major from Montclair, N.J. plans to cultivate a strong relationship between the editorial and business sides of the DP. As a former circulation manager, she believes that strong business and editorial collaboration will lead to company-wide success. She also noted that through cross-department collaboration, the marketing team will be able to more effectively promote and deliver content to the Penn community.

"While COVID-19 has certainly made it quite challenging to maintain close-knit relationships at the DP, I believe that new bonds can be formed across departments," she said. 

Ahn, a biology and East Asian area studies double major from Atlanta, Ga., plans to "revamp" the DP's newsletter "Dear Penn," which has served as the organization's main news product during the pandemic. She also will spearhead efforts to increase reporting standards through an emphasis on diversity of coverage and "accurate and balanced" reporting. 

These leaders are tasked with taking on the highest positions in the company during a historic moment. Still, they are set up to lead the 137th Board of Editors and Managers to great heights.