3323cf03-1fd7-4d0d-b2e1-47ac3b4352b7-sized-1000x1000
Credit: Tamara Wurman

The Daily Pennsylvanian asked Penn softball’s Emma Nedley 15 questions about her sport, her time at Penn, and her life overall. Here's what the junior had to say.

1. Can you introduce yourself? 

Hi! My name is Emma Nedley, I am a junior on the softball team. I am an outfielder. I am studying Health and Societies and I am pre-dental.

2. What is your spirit animal and why?

Really anything with a lot of energy. Some kind of fast animal like you just never know what to expect and I keep you on your toes. So maybe a cheetah.

3. What is something that most people do not know about you?

Most people close me know this but others would not guess that I have been a vegetarian for 11 years.

4. When did you start playing softball? 

I actually started playing baseball when I was about six years old with the boys and I played that until I was about nine and then switched to softball.

5. What has your experience playing softball at Penn been like? 

It has been a whirlwind. I don’t even know how to describe it. It has introduced me to so many people from many different cultures while also reconnecting with people that I grew up playing softball. It has just opened up so many doors and opportunities for me and it definitely enhances my education for me and my experience at Penn.

6. What team are looking forward to playing against this spring?

Definitely, Columbia. I think we have a really big rivalry with them so that would be a fun one.

7. One thing you miss about not playing softball right now?

I miss being with my teammates everyday and just being on the field. Penn Park is beautiful so it’s always a nice little relief in the middle of the day and we don’t really have that right now.

8. Favorite Penn softball memory? 

I don’t know if I have one. Just spending time with my teammates is definitely the greatest thing.

9. What is your go to pre-game/post-game meal? 

I love a smoothie from Brysi. It's the oatmeal with peanut butter one. It has been closed so I haven’t had it in a while.

10. What is your dream job?

I want to be an orthodontist, I love working with kids. I know saying I like teeth is kinda weird but I do truly love it and I have had some hands-on experience so that has just furthered my love for it.

11. Who is your biggest role model? 

I would say my dad. He is the definition of hard work and he is everything that I embody in my character.

12. Do you have a favorite quote? 

I love Jeremiah 21:11. “‘For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future’”. Really just any Bible verse, I love.

13. If you had 24 hours to do whatever you wanted in Philadelphia, what would you do?

Number one would be to go to Zahav just because I can never get a reservation there and then just really run around and do a little bit of everything. I am super spontaneous so wherever the day would take me.

14. If you had to pick one genre of music to listen to for the rest of your life, what would it be and why? 

Country hands down. I listen to it all the time with my family and friends. No one else in Philly, I feel like, likes country. So I have to stick to my hometown roots.

15. What is one thing you want to do at Penn before you graduate?

I think I just want to experience Penn. I’ve been in a lot of science classes and studying. I haven’t gotten to meet as many people as I would like. I would like to expand my horizons when I am done with those classes.