jerry-sun
Rising Wharton sophomore Jerry Sun was 19 years old.

Rising Wharton sophomore Jerry Sun was killed in a car accident in Colorado on July 25, according to a email sent Monday morning to undergraduates by Associate Vice Provost for University Life Sharon Smith on behalf of Penn President Amy Gutmann and Provost Wendell Pritchett.

“Jerry brought happiness and laughter with him wherever he went,” his family said in a statement included in the email. “His curiosity was insatiable and his spirit was unbreakable. He was selfless in his desire to help others and a source of comfort in times of distress. He was incredibly gifted but humble, a quick learner but perpetually diligent. He was an aspiring entrepreneur, loyal friend, and beloved son.”

Sun was 19 years old and lived in College Point, N.Y. 

He died at St. Thomas More Hospital after colliding with an International Bus on Saturday afternoon at the intersection of U.S. 50 and Colo. 9, according to a press release from Colorado State Patrol. The crash is under investigation, and alcohol and speed are not factors in the accident, the release stated.

He was a member of Cohort Rand and campus groups including the Wharton Management Club, Wharton Private Equity and Venture Capital Club, Wharton Real Estate Club, as well as Wharton Giving Society. He lived in Speakman in the Quad as a first year. 

For the last two months, Sun worked as a teaching assistant with high school students enrolled in Wharton summer programs, according to the email.

The University is hosting a virtual support session on BlueJeans at 3:30 pm ET today with representatives from Wharton, Counseling and Psychological Services, and the the Chaplain's Office. 

"We know how challenging the last several months have been for you. Learning of a classmate’s passing may exacerbate existing stress or strain," the email read. "We hope you can lean on and share feelings with your friends and families. We are so very sorry we can’t be with you in person, as a Penn community, to grieve and remember Jerry."

This is a developing story that was last updated at 12:50 p.m. on Aug. 3. Please check back for more updates.

CAMPUS RESOURCES

The HELP Line: 215-898-HELP

Counseling and Psychological Services: 215-898-7021 (active 24/7)

Student Health Service: 215-746-3535

Office of the Vice Provost for University Life: 215-898-6081

University Chaplain’s Office: 215-898-8456

Reach-A-Peer Helpline

• 215-573-2727 (every day from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m.)
  • 215-515-7332 (texting service available 24/7)