armed-robbery

Armed Robbery reported on August 1st around 10:33 am around 36th and Market. (Photo from Samantha Brosler)

Shots were fired in an attempted armed robbery at PNC Bank on 3535 Market Street, prompting a UPenn Alert.

The suspects are two males, driving a burgundy or maroon Chevy Trailblazer with no windows and black rims. One male supect wearing blue jeans, a black hooded sweatshirt, a black ski mask, and black and white sneakers was seen heading east on Market Street on foot. 

There were no reported injuries. The UPenn Alert was issued at 10:07 a.m. while an all-clear message was issued after 6 p.m.

Vice President for Public Safety Maureen Rush said she was driving down Market Street a little after 10 a.m. when she saw a male wearing a mask running eastbound on Market Street right by the 3535 Market building. She then notified the PennComm Operations Center of the situation, which informed Philadelphia Police and Drexel Police. 

The situation involved a Garda truck, which was an armored truck carrying cash to the bank. One of the suspects attempted to ambush one of the armored truck officers carrying cash. The two suspects and the two armored guards from the truck then engaged in a gun battle. 

One of the suspects dropped the bag of cash before fleeing on foot while the other drove away in the Chevy Trailblazer. The car was recovered north of the crime scene with some evidence inside the vehicle. 

The 3535 Market Street building was sealed off. Market Street was closed from 34th to 38th streets. 36th Street was also closed from Lancaster to Chestnut streets. 

An all-clear message was published at 6:27pm after the Federal Bureau of Investigation released the crime scene. Rush said the FBI is investigating because bank-involved crimes are under federal jurisdiction. 

Rush added that such a crime never happened in this area in her 25 years at Penn. 

"Should people be worried walking down the streets? No, this was random. This could happen anywhere. Don’t be obsessed. Just use your common sense," she said. "You just need to be aware of your circumstances. You need to follow your instincts which a lot of people did today."

She added that if anyone who witnessed the scene is having fear and concern, they should call the PennComm Operations Center, which will be able to connect them with resources.