baseball-sean-phelan

Senior designated hitter Sean Phelan went 3-for-5 with two RBIs in Penn baseball's loss at George Washington on Tuesday.

Credit: Lily Haber

In what is now becoming a trend, the Red and Blue were in great position to win, but couldn't close out the game.

Tuesday marked the last nonconference game for Penn baseball, as the team travelled to Washington, D.C. to play George Washington. The Quakers lost to the Colonials, 8-4, after giving up six runs in the eighth inning.

The Quakers got on the board quickly, after sophomore left fielder Eduardo Malinowski singled in senior catcher Matt O'Neill. However, George Washington promptly answered back in the bottom half of the eighth to tie the score at one.

In the top of the third, Penn had a prime opportunity to open up the game after loading the bases with one out. The offense was unable to capitalize, though, as the next two hitters grounded out to end the top half of the inning. 

Starting pitcher Joe Miller was replaced by fellow-freshman Seth DeVries to begin the fourth. Miller ended his day after three innings of work, during which he struck out three batters and allowed one run.

The next couple innings featured a defensive battle, until the Colonials finally ended the scoring drought in the sixth. Third baseman Logan Doran showcased solid situational hitting, grounding the ball up the middle and scoring second baseman Noah Levin to break the tie.

The Red and Blue quickly turned the tables in the top seventh. Freshman center fielder Tommy Courtney opened the inning with a leadoff walk. Penn then turned to some small ball, as freshman first baseman Craig Larsen bunted to third base. The ball was fielded by the third baseman, who overthrew it and allowed Courtney to advance to third.

Next up, senior third baseman Matt McGeagh was hit by a pitch, which loaded the bases with no outs. This time, the Quakers came through when they needed to. O’Neill traded a run for two outs, grounding into a double play which scored Courtney. Senior designated hitter Sean Phelan then took back the lead for Penn, knocking in Larsen with a clutch single to make the game 3-2.

After holding George Washington in the seventh, Penn's bullpen couldn't maintain the lead in the eighth frame. The Colonials broke out in this inning, scoring six runs and wiping away the Penn lead. The offensive onslaught included a grand slam by shortstop Nate Fassnacht, which gave his team an 8-3 lead.

The Red and Blue fought to get back in the game, as Phelan doubled down the right field line to plate O'Neill. That's where the rally would end, though, as George Washington closed out to the Quakers to take the 8-4 victory.

Penn will now focus its attention on the final Ivy series of the regular season, where a sweep is likely needed for the group to have any chance at advancing to the Ivy League Championship Series on May 18 and 19.