ivy-league-fling-lineups-01
Credit: Gillian Diebold

Penn's Spring Fling is this weekend, and it is part of a tradition of spring concerts shared by all Ivy League universities.

Penn’s Social Planning and Events Committee released the lineup for the 2019 Spring Fling Concert on March 18. The concert will feature American singer Miguel and rapper J.I.D on stage this upcoming Saturday. SPEC's decision to headline Miguel has sparked waves of student opposition because of a 2017 sexual assault allegation raised against the singer. Many students say they plan to boycott Miguel’s performance or even the concert altogether, with some starting a Facebook event titled "Stand Against Miguel at Fling.” 

At Columbia University, the Bacchanal Committee hinted that the annual Bacchanal concert might be canceled due to contract violations with their headline performer. This was later revealed to be an elaborate prank played by the committee, which announced later that the April 6 concert would feature a lineup composed of all women artists with the exception of student headliner Oswald Fresh, who won a Battle of the Bands organized by the committee for students to pick their favorite student performer.

The Bacchanal lineup included Japanese-British singer Rina Sawayama, rapper and songwriter Tierra Whack, and Scottish singer SOPHIE.

File Photo

Earlier this semester, Brown University’s Brown Concert Agency announced that it will be hosting seven artists at the Spring Weekend concert on April 26 and 27. These include Portland rapper Aminé, Japanese-American singer Mitski, and Canadian singer Daniel Caesar.

At Harvard University's Yardfest on April 7, the Arts and Entertainment Committee featured prominent American singers Bazzi and Kiiara.

Following the arrest of a student at last year's Yardfest, Harvard made significant policy changes to this year's event: students were barred from bringing guests and restricted from re-entry after leaving. The concert was also moved from Friday evening to Sunday afternoon. 

Cornell University will be featuring American DJ Steve Aoki, rapper Cousin Stizz, and actress EZI at its annual Slope Day concert on May 7. 

Aoki is well-known to the public as the world’s hardest working DJ, especially after his recent release of his album, Neon Future III, which featured appearance from guest artists such as BTS and One Direction. 

The Yale College Council announced that American rapper Lil Uzi Vert will be the headliner for its annual Spring Fling concert on April 27, along with Australian EDM DJ Anna Lunoe. Last year, Yale's Spring Fling concert had four headliners. 

A native of Philadelphia, Lil Uzi Vert was driven to focus on music after quitting his job at a local grocery store after just four days of work and being kicked out of his home by his mother.

Princeton University has not yet released its performers for its Spring Lawnparties. This year, however, Princeton's Undergraduate Student Government has proposed cutting the Spring Lawnparties budget by almost a quarter. Last spring, the Lawnparties featured American rapper and actor Vince Staples. 

The Programing Board at Dartmouth University will reveal the lineup for the annual Green Key weekend in May 2019. In 2018, the group headlined American singer Tinashe, who was the first female headliner in the concert's history.