1718-park1

Junior Christina Park led Penn women's golf to a third place finish in Tuesday's William & Mary Collegiate, as she finished tied for third overall. (Photo from Penn Athletics)

Credit: Hunter Martin

The start of the week meant the beginning of the spring season for Penn’s women’s golf.

The Quakers traveled to Williamsburg, Va. for the annual William & Mary Intercollegiate Tournament, which is played on the Kingsmill River Course, a course that has hosted some of the world’s best players on the PGA and LPGA tour.

Kingsmill River played host to a two-day, 54-hole spring season opener for the Red and Blue. In previous years, the Quakers have been successful at this tournament, and this year they had another strong showing. 

“It felt great to be back in season with the team, and we’re getting back into the swing of things,” freshman Mary Shin said. 

The Red and Blue started off the tournament near the lead after the first 36 holes, ending Monday tied for second place with High Point University, just eleven strokes behind Seton Hall University in first. 

The Quakers shot a two-round score of 625 after the first day, with junior Christina Park finishing in seventh place after shooting a combined 152 for eight over par, good for best on the team. 

Out of the 79 golfers in the tournament, three of the Quakers were ranked in the top 20 after the first day. Shin finished tied for ninth place after shooting a 154 while sophomore Rina Jung sat in 19th, shooting a combined 159. 

Credit: Hunter Martin

Freshman Mary Shin (Photo from Penn Athletics)

“Although the weather during the first day was not the best, we fought hard during the rounds and had a great start,” Shin said. 

Tuesday's final round brought more individual success for some of Penn's golfers. 

Park ultimately finished tied for third after shooting a 77 in the final round, while Shin rounded out Penn's top ten finishers tied for ninth with a final round score of 82.

Park was just behind the top two golfers, Mia Kness from Seton Hall and Sarah Khan of High Point.

Overall, the women’s team could not clinch the first place spot and ended up in third with 936, just eight strokes more than High Point, who claimed second place, and 18 strokes above first-place Seton Hall. 

With the strong finish, the team is only more confident about its ability to compete with the opposition this season.

“We're in great shape and are looking forward to a great rest of our season,” Shin said. 

The Quakers are optimistic moving forward, as they will travel to Winter Gardens, Fla. for the two-day Harvard Invitational on March 29 and 30.