softball-vs-harvard-tabitha-dyer

In just her second year as a pitcher for Penn softball, Tabitha Dyer is already making waves in the Ivy League.

Credit: Tamara Wurman

Only a year and change into her collegiate career, Penn softball's Tabitha Dyer has become a force to be reckoned with in the Ivy League. 

Sitting at No. 2 in the conference — just behind Yale’s Terra Jerpbak — with an earned run average of 2.12, the sophomore pitcher has helped the Quakers (11-9, 3-3 Ivy) immensely this season.

In her stellar freshman year, Dyer earned honorable mention All-Ivy and two Rookie of the Week awards, but she hasn't stopped there. 

This year, Dyer came back with just as much success as she had last season and even more, earning back-to-back Pitcher of the Week accolades.

If Dyer could give advice to her younger self, she would tell herself to not worry as much about school. On the softball field, she is always feeling confident.

“You’ve been playing forever, so you know how to do it,” she said. 

Through Penn's first 17 games of the season, Dyer was not only highly ranked as one of the top pitchers in the Ivy League, but was also in the top 30 nationally in ERA. 

The sophomore came out of the gates with an impressive start to the season, grabbing five wins with only one loss against Yale, the best start for a pitcher through six decisions since 2016.

Her presence on the field does not go unnoticed by her teammates.

“She's very composed,” sophomore outfielder Kayla Ketring said. “She rarely ever complains. … If things are going her way [on the mound], you wouldn't know, and if things are going badly, you wouldn't know.”

The southpaw is currently tied for first in many categories in the League, including home runs against (one) and opposing batting average (.197).

“She brings a vibe that we all feed off of," Ketring said. "She has a lot of energy on the inside but doesn't show it until we get back in the dugout.” 

But more than that, Dyer is a grounded player and person on and off the field.

“She's very humble. She works very hard,” Ketring said. “She can play outfield, she can be a pitcher, she can be at-bat, she can be a runner. She's a quadruple threat.”

The sophomore star has been performing exceptionally well this season, but she isn't done yet, especially with the team being in the midst of its Ancient Eight schedule. 

“I think my goal is just to keep supporting my teammates, whether that means I am playing or I’m cheering my heart out on the bench,” Dyer said. “Whatever my team needs, I’m there.”

With statistics that any pitcher would strive for, along with her hardworking and humble demeanor, Dyer has a lot in store for the Quakers for the remainder of her time on the softball mound.