gymnastics-jordyn-mennino-floor

Sophomore Jordyn Mannino scored 9.675 on the bars, while also putting up a mark of 9.775 on the floor exercise.

Credit: Carson Kahoe

Penn gymnastics had its best showing of the season this weekend in the team's third meet, rounding out January on a positive note and posting some impressive scores.

The Quakers, who scored 190.100 team points, faced off against Temple (194.150), Ursinus (174.175), and Ithaca (185.750) on Sunday in Philadelphia, placing second behind the host Owls. Coming off a disappointing loss to Yale last week, the Quakers delivered strong performances across the board.

The battle for team points, especially between Penn and Temple, proved stiff. Penn posted its best scores of the day on the floor and beam, trailing first-place finisher Temple in those events by only 0.350 and 0.425, respectively. 

Beginning on the bars, the Quakers struggled against the Owls, trailing them by multiple points and leading only by 0.225 over Ithaca after that event. Sophomore Jordyn Mannino and junior Alex Kothe delivered the strongest performances with identical scores of 9.675.

Next, the Red and Blue began to bring the heat as they took on the beam, scoring a total of 48.325 in their highest-scoring event. Senior Caroline Moore led the Quakers with a score of 9.775, followed by strong performances by freshman Natalie Yang and sophomore Darcy Matsuda, both of whom also performed well in Penn's last meet against Yale. 

Several Quakers placed within the top three in individual events, with particularly strong showings from younger members of the team.

Freshman Sydney Kraez posted a vault score of 9.600, good for second in the event. Kraez also set a personal record on the floor with a score of 9.775, tied for the third-highest of the day. 

Mannino, who earned an Eastern College Athletic Conference Coaches Choice Award for her efforts against Yale, maintained strong momentum in this meet. She tied Kraez for Penn's best floor exercise score of the day with 9.775 points. Mannino’s performance followed a strong showing last week, when she wowed the judges with a 9.800 on the floor.

The Quakers will face both Temple and Ursinus again this season, hosting meets at the Palestra on Feb. 3 and Feb. 10.