135-big-3

(From left to right) Business Manager Remi Golden, President Julia Schorr, and Executive Editor Sarah Fortinsky.

Many know the big three credit rating agencies, the Harvard-Yale-Princeton big three, or even the big three Allied leaders in World War II: Churchill, Roosevelt, and Stalin. At The Daily Pennsylvanian, there’s a new big three. Don’t worry, there’s no Stalin among them.

College junior Julia Schorr will serve as president this year, a role like publisher at many other papers. The president, as head of the company, is responsible for all aspects of the organization with a focus on strategy, organizational culture and structure, and external relations. College junior Remi Golden will oversee all business operations of the multimillion-dollar company as business manager. College junior Sarah Fortinsky will serve as executive editor, overseeing the three publications — the DP, 34th Street Magazine, and Under the Button — and all cross-publication editorial departments. 

Together, Schorr, Golden, and Fortinsky will set priorities for the 135th Board as a whole and push the DP into the future.

Schorr, a fine arts major from Westport, Conn., will focus on diversity in staff and in coverage, the student experience within the DP, and new revenue generation. She wants to make the organization more inclusive and expand support for DP staff, while ensuring its financial future so it can serve readers and staff for decades to come.

Schorr says that her time as digital director last year taught her the importance of innovation. “In order to best serve Penn’s campus and reflect a variety of voices, our organization has to take advantage of newsletters, social media, multimedia, podcasts, and more digital platforms,” Schorr said. “The long-term financial security of our organization is dependent on our progress in the digital realm.”

Golden, the new business manager, is from Hewlett, N.Y., and studies biology and economics. Her main goal is uniting and supporting the business leaders of the company to drive revenue generation and develop new projects. “All media companies are being challenged to adapt their business models to work in a digital age,” Golden said. She plans to apply what she learned about the media landscape as marketing manager last year to help the DP succeed.

Fortinsky, a political science major and journalistic writing minor from Larchmont, N.Y., moves from senior news editor to executive editor — a common path for editorial chiefs. Like Schorr and Golden, she has a focus on the company’s digital presence, but Fortinsky’s highest commitment is to accuracy, accountability, fairness, and diversity in the coverage the DP produces. She said greater coordination across departments will help this. “Collaborating more across platforms and coordinating our coverage to complement the other work we're doing will strengthen the community and will improve the quality of our work. Plus it makes the job that much more enjoyable.”