DPPOW_Nwokedi

Scoring 30 points in a game, including outscoring the entire other team in the first half like senior Michelle Nwokedi did is clear grounds for a DP Sports Player of the Week.

Credit: Zach Sheldon

One word: Special. That is how coach Mike McLaughlin described Michelle Nwokedi’s 30-point performance in the Red and Blue’s win over Harvard on Saturday. 

And special it was. Just take a look at her stat line. 

Credit: Zach Sheldon and Ben Zhao

Nwokedi was simply outstanding. The senior set a new career high with 30 points, and was able to eclipse her previous career high in the first half alone, securing 27 points by the break. With the performance, she was this week’s DP Sports Player of the Week. 

Although Nwokedi was able to change Saturday’s game on the offensive end, that was not the only way she affected the game. She finished with eight rebounds, plus two blocks and a steal.

Her defense was also on display in the Quakers’ win over Dartmouth on Friday. In just 24 minutes of action, she had three blocks to go along with six rebounds. 

In fact, Nwokedi has been a rock on offense and defense for the better part of the Red and Blue’s nine-game win streak. The reigning Ivy League Player of the Year has been averaging nearly a double-double over that stretch, with 12.5 points, 8.4 rebounds, in addition to 2.8 blocks per game.

Nwokedi will need to continue her strong play if the Red and Blue hope to defeat Princeton in Tuesday’s showdown for first place in the Ivy League.